Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread***
(03-13-2024, 08:34 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I've watched you for months now, putting great energy into keeping track of the roster, the cap, and expressing your thoughts on potential moves ahead.  Some of those moves aligned with what you had forecasted, others have not so far.  I guess what I'm saying is that the game isn't over yet.  Even if the team doesn't do things the way you had them (very well) logically thought out, does not mean that they didn't intend for them to go that direction.  I trust that the Front Office won't overpay for a player that was not retained by the organization that originally selected him.  They will put together the best roster that they feel improves the team.  Don't forget that a "collection of talent, does not equal a "team".

I know it is early days still. And there are legit FAs still out there that would help us. Reader, Armstead, Jones, Fuller. But the list is getting shorter. 

And, it does not have to be the way I thought/hoped it would go. I thought we'd tag  Tee, sign Reader, take an OT #18, and sign a vet S, cut Scott, and make a play for 1 more significant FA (DT, bridge OT, TE, CB4, RB, IOL). 

We tagged Tee, OT at #18 looks more likely by the minute, we got the vet S, we cut Scott. 

But of the guys we have signed/tagged/tendered, most were backups last year. That is a fact. I did not have that on my bingo card. 

Starters: Higgins, Stone, Adomitis. 

Reserves: Moss, Gesicki, Browning, D. Sample, ADG, T. Williams, Ford. 

If we didn't want to pay Reader, then pay a CB. Or at DT/3T. Or a RT. Or a TE. Or a G. Something. 
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 08:27 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Did they seriously give Ridley 50 mill? If so, that's crazy! He's soooo inconsistent. I suppose that he could play better in the upcoming season since he was coming off of taking a year off, literally. It's possible, but I owned him in the board FFB league last season, and it was maddening. 

Yeah, crazy stupid by the Titans. But I do think this opens up the Tee trade talks more come Draft day, Tee is 4 years younger and better
than Ridley, even if the Draft is good and deep at WR, some like proven talent and I don't blame them. Ridley isn't even near as proven as
Tee honestly.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 08:50 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: We need that reminder after today. Guess we are just spending all that money on Ja'Marr after we hopefully add Arik Armstead and Trent Brown.

Trent Brown may be the ticket. 6'8" 370. PFF grade of 80. Only 3 sacks allowed. 

Maybe that's who they've been targeting. Jonah Williams wasn't getting it done.

What's the knock on Brown? Why wasn't he mentioned as a target all along? is it the locker room issues? Does he fit the Bengals culture?
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 08:50 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Wow!! He must have really been working hard on his game this offseason because he was rusty last year, and it showed at times. I have a feeling that Tenn is going to regret it. 

yep and guess who his agent is Hilarious
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 08:54 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, crazy stupid by the Titans. But I do think this opens up the Tee trade talks more come Draft day, Tee is 4 years younger and better
than Ridley, even if the Draft is good and deep at WR, some like proven talent and I don't blame them. Ridley isn't even near as proven as
Tee honestly.

Agree, and Tee made have had some insight on what Tenn had to offer. That being his home state and all.

Ts, harkening back to a conversation that you were having earlier with someone (seriously can't remember right off hand, apologies). Maybe he is pissed and feels insulted. That Ridley contract is ridiculous money. I'm thinking him or his agent had some insight on this. 

Just connecting the dots.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 08:54 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I know it is early days still. And there are legit FAs still out there that would help us. Reader, Armstead, Jones, Fuller. But the list is getting shorter. 

And, it does not have to be the way I thought/hoped it would go. I thought we'd tag  Tee, sign Reader, take an OT #18, and sign a vet S, cut Scott, and make a play for 1 more significant FA (DT, bridge OT, TE, CB4, RB, IOL). 

We tagged Tee, OT at #18 looks more likely by the minute, we got the vet S, we cut Scott. 

But of the guys we have signed/tagged/tendered, most were backups last year. That is a fact. I did not have that on my bingo card. 

If we didn't want to pay Reader, then pay a CB. Or at DT/3T. Or a RT. Or a TE. Or a G. Something. 

Yeah, definitely respect that Ike and I am with Sunset on appreciating all your hard work in your roster threads. I think Moss is better than
what you give him cred for though seriously. All of Mixon's weaknesses Moss is way better at and with a Running Back By Committee running 
game we could be much less predictable as far as the running game goes.

Your thoughts on Gesicki and Sample have merit for sure in that they give away what they do well and don't do well. I think we Draft a TE 
like Ben Sinnott to learn, who can do it all to help this obvious give away with these 2 players.
Reply/Quote
Rankins step one.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
This is why I remember getting nervous with the Kappa and Karras legal-tampering-period agreements until they actually signed the contract. Here's a player who made an agreement and changed his mind.

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
Another change of heart: after agreeing to a deal with the 49ers, former Chargers and Vikings LB Eric Kendricks has decided to go to the Dallas Cowboys instead, per sources. Mike Zimmer wanted Kendricks to help run his defense and Kendricks preferred to play in Dallas.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 08:59 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, definitely respect that Ike and I am with Sunset on appreciating all your hard work in your roster threads. I think Moss is better than
what you give him cred for though seriously. All of Mixon's weaknesses Moss is way better at and with a Running Back By Committee running 
game we could be much less predictable as far as the running game goes.

Your thoughts on Gesicki and Sample have merit for sure in that they give away what they do well and don't do well. I think we Draft a TE 
like Ben Sinnott to learn, who can do it all to help this obvious give away with these 2 players.

Sinnott would be ideal since he can do a little of everything. I saw we met with Tip Reiman at the Illini pro day he would be a good get later on for blocking at girst and get better on the other.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 08:58 PM)casear2727 Wrote:

This would be a, "thank you baby Jesus" signing. 
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 08:54 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I know it is early days still. And there are legit FAs still out there that would help us. Reader, Armstead, Jones, Fuller. But the list is getting shorter. 

That's the part that get's me.  If they were weary of signing DJ again, why didn't they go after someone else from the get go?  We see that they are interested in a CB, let's allow that to play out.  I'm sure that they have "irons in the fire".

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 08:38 PM)jason Wrote: Some are multimillionaires... Most will be in the league for 3 years or less. Those that last longer still only have what?... 10 years if they're lucky? Ten years to earn that kind of money. The rest of their lives to limp and hobble. The NBA can guarantee contracts. They have a cap too.

Guaranteed contracts suck.  Look at the NBA or MLB  

Why should anyone be guaranteed to be paid when they are no longer on a team?   Also, you can limp and hobble the rest of your life as a construction worker or many other manual type jobs.   The NFL doesnt have a monopoly on jobs that can leave you body wrecked.  These guys get paid a great deal of money to do it and know what the consequences are.  Dont complain about it when you choose to do it.
Reply/Quote
Alright!

Jeremy Fowler
@JFowlerESPN
Source: Sheldon Rankins and the #Bengals are closing in on a contract agreement. Expected to be done tonight.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 09:01 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: This would be a, "thank you baby Jesus" signing. 

Rankins had 3 sacks vs the Bengals.

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 08:55 PM)Nepa Wrote: Trent Brown may be the ticket. 6'8" 370. PFF grade of 80. Only 3 sacks allowed. 

Maybe that's who they've been targeting. Jonah Williams wasn't getting it done.

What's the knock on Brown? Why wasn't he mentioned as a target all along? is it the locker room issues? Does he fit the Bengals culture?

Brown is older, that is his knock and he has been banged up a bit. But yeah, good player, especially for a stop gap.

And looks like Rankins is our DT we are going to get hopefully...

Spectacular...PervertClapping
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 09:00 PM)Joelist Wrote: Rankins step one.

That’s what I was thinking. Now to get a NT, but that’s possible if they can get Sweat.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote

about frickin time.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 08:56 PM)pulses Wrote: yep and guess who his agent is Hilarious

I had a feeling! See my previous post. Bastard! Meaning the agent of course.
Reply/Quote
Rankins like Mike G give us the ability to draft best available if the right player is there but not chase a position
Reply/Quote