Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread***
(03-16-2024, 01:10 AM)jj22 Wrote: Their plan is just confusing. Ok. So we are all in on sustained success. To hell with going for it all in this final big money year. Assuming we buy the spin. Why no long term contracts so we don’t have to worry about spending and cap in two years? That’s not very long term. So what a the plan? All in for the next two years? I’m trying to like this FA if I can better understand it.

Actually it’s crystal clear. They are scared to death of the salary cap when they have to sign Chase and Joe’s contract kicks in.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2024, 08:38 AM)Memphis_Bengal Wrote: This is a good point. Went back and looked at the drafts at the number OTs taken before pick 18:

2023 - 4
2022 - 3
2021 - 3
2020 - 3

So odds are good we will get one of the top 4 or 5 which are all ranked in the top 20.

• Joe Alt. Notre Dame. JR. 6'9" 321.
  • Olumuyiwa Fashanu. Penn State. RJR. 6'6" 312.
  • Taliese Fuaga. Oregon State. JR. 6'6" 324.
  • J.C. Latham. Alabama. JR. 6'6" 342.
  • Amarius Mims. Georgia. JR. 6'8" 340.

Anyone after Fashanu is a crapshoot as a day-1 starter IMO.  Fuaga is a specimen, but he's better suited to a run-first offense than one like ours that throws as much as any in the league.  Mims is out of "project with physical tools" central casting.  It would scare the hell out of me to see him line up vs this division's pass rushers in year 1.  Latham is a maybe, but I'm always leery of the highly touted Bama OTs.  They play on such stacked lines that it's tough to gauge what they can do on their own at times.  

I don't hate any of them as fits other that Fuaga, but I REALLY hate the situation the Bengals find themselves in.  They are going to enter this draft with a major need.  The potential for a Billy Price type pick is there.  

There will be a number of guys available in round 1 that can likely help right away at other positions.  That could be corner, which we know they want more of (always do).  It could be receiver which is the position that the team basically built it's identity on outside of QB, and that could also be d-line.  I hope they are smart about not acting out of desperation.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2024, 08:38 AM)Memphis_Bengal Wrote: This is a good point. Went back and looked at the drafts at the number OTs taken before pick 18:

2023 - 4
2022 - 3
2021 - 3
2020 - 3

So odds are good we will get one of the top 4 or 5 which are all ranked in the top 20.

• Joe Alt. Notre Dame. JR. 6'9" 321.
  • Olumuyiwa Fashanu. Penn State. RJR. 6'6" 312.
  • Taliese Fuaga. Oregon State. JR. 6'6" 324.
  • J.C. Latham. Alabama. JR. 6'6" 342.
  • Amarius Mims. Georgia. JR. 6'8" 340.

But the Bengals give us a curveball and draft Guyton.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Say we go elsewhere in round 1 because a "can't miss prospect" falls down the board and we are pigeonholed into taking a day 2 RT. Who is in that tier that could maaaaaybe start Day 1 with Sample helping him out a LOT in 2024? I always hear about the first round expectants but know nothing of the round 2-x guys. I know it's not an ideal situation to be in, but they've sorta painted themselves into a corner here.
Reply/Quote
Close to telling Higgins to go _____ himself.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
Sounds like the Chiefs are trading Sneed to the Colts.

Reply/Quote
Higgins won't resign here. Mulugheta clients have a clear track record - they go to different teams. Bengals should let them line up a trade and do it and just never make the mistake of drafting a Mulugheta client again.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2024, 10:11 AM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: Say we go elsewhere in round 1 because a "can't miss prospect" falls down the board and we are pigeonholed into taking a day 2 RT. Who is in that tier that could maaaaaybe start Day 1 with Sample helping him out a LOT in 2024? I always hear about the first round expectants but know nothing of the round 2-x guys. I know it's not an ideal situation to be in, but they've sorta painted themselves into a corner here.

Good question, if the unthinkable happened and Bowers was there or they realy love Newton (even being a 3T) then yes you have to go T with the next pick.  So much so that you shop your own 3rd or a little more to get back to the 1st probably for Guyton or hopefully Mims.  They have the picks to make a deal.  They need a future cog at OT and DT so in a Bowers/Mims scenario I'd consider another trade maybe the comp pick 3rd for another DL that can produce now.  You want to draft well and even grab value at corner with the deep class, but FA really set them up where you still need to go to war with more trench pieces. 
Reply/Quote
This could be an ugly year for Tee playing here next year. He could get a smattering of boos at some home games.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2024, 11:25 AM)phil413 Wrote: Good question, if the unthinkable happened and Bowers was there or they realy love Newton (even being a 3T) then yes you have to go T with the next pick.  So much so that you shop your own 3rd or a little more to get back to the 1st probably for Guyton or hopefully Mims.  They have the picks to make a deal.  They need a future cog at OT and DT so in a Bowers/Mims scenario I'd consider another trade maybe the comp pick 3rd for another DL that can produce now.  You want to draft well and even grab value at corner with the deep class, but FA really set them up where you still need to go to war with more trench pieces. 

Unfortunately we packed our tight end room with below average guys and have more glaring needs that HAVE to be filled. I wanted Bowers or Newton but now we pretty much have to take a tackle or NT in round 1. It will be the leftover OT most likely but I would be tempted to go Newton if he’s there but man, it’s like the FO has zero foresight here. Them essentially saying they screwed the secondary situation up after spending draft capitol and signing Scott last year hurts bad.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2024, 11:32 AM)CottonHill Wrote: Unfortunately we packed our tight end room with below average guys and have more glaring needs that HAVE to be filled. I wanted Bowers or Newton but now we pretty much have to take a tackle or NT in round 1. It will be the leftover OT most likely but I would be tempted to go Newton if he’s there but man, it’s like the FO has zero foresight here. Them essentially saying they screwed the secondary situation up after spending draft capitol and signing Scott last year hurts bad.

By them signing Rankins, that might have taken Newton off the board as far as priority.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2024, 11:32 AM)CottonHill Wrote: Unfortunately we packed our tight end room with below average guys and have more glaring needs that HAVE to be filled. I wanted Bowers or Newton but now we pretty much have to take a tackle or NT in round 1. It will be the leftover OT most likely but I would be tempted to go Newton if he’s there but man, it’s like the FO has zero foresight here. Them essentially saying they screwed the secondary situation up after spending draft capitol and signing Scott last year hurts bad.

They were always taking a RT at 18 unless miraculously Bowers was there. Sample is not below average. Most teams have a receiver TE and a blocking TE. We are no different. We used the TE more with Browning ( both Browning,Callahan, and Zac confirmed) with no new plays. Browning likes the TE and so they tailored it more to that. The bottom line is Joe has always steered toward the big play with his wideouts. Gesicki will be valuable.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2024, 11:24 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Sounds like the Chiefs are trading Sneed to the Colts.

No kidding?  The Chiefs can see the writing on the wall with a tagged Sneed. Bengals need to do the same with Higgins.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2024, 11:31 AM)Goalpost Wrote: This could be an ugly year for Tee playing here next year.  He could get a smattering of boos at some home games.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2024, 10:03 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: But the Bengals give us a curveball and draft Guyton.

Doubtful. Of course they may have seen him plenty at the combine but nobody was at his pro day

Reply/Quote
I'm guessing Higgins wants more than Ridley just got, He is not worth it, He isn't worth the franchise tag IMO
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2024, 11:24 AM)Joelist Wrote: Higgins won't resign here. Mulugheta clients have a clear track record - they go to different teams. Bengals should let them line up a trade and do it and just never make the mistake of drafting a Mulugheta client again.

Agreed BUT...the article that I read stated that they gave permission to Higgins to seek a trade....so, why no trade?

Are the Bengals asking too much?

Is Higgin's value not as much as he/his agent thought?

I asked this a few days ago in another thread....Basically is Tee a WR1?

If he is/thinks he is then a 1st round draft pick should be the only compensation.

If he is not/Bengals do not view him as that then the money being asked is not proper.

Ridley is a best case comparison at this point....Dude has been injured....Dude was suspended for gambling while injured....He had a similar season to Higgins average season a couple years ago....1000 yards...8 or so TDs....Ridley just signed for 23 mil per year....92 total/50 guaranteed.

My conclusion from above ...trade Tee now for whatever you can get that is reasonable...a late first/early second.....second rounder/4th rounder....he is not going to be here long term just from Ridley's contract....Higgins would be looking for 26-30 mil with more guaranteed if this is what Ridley is getting and rightly so if that is the market.  Higgins is 10 times the player that Ridley is statistically and on and off the field.

The Ridley signing may hurt more than we think as other teams may not be able/wanting to pay Higgins what his perceived value is in a trade.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2024, 11:25 AM)phil413 Wrote: Good question, if the unthinkable happened and Bowers was there or they realy love Newton (even being a 3T) then yes you have to go T with the next pick.  So much so that you shop your own 3rd or a little more to get back to the 1st probably for Guyton or hopefully Mims.  They have the picks to make a deal.  They need a future cog at OT and DT so in a Bowers/Mims scenario I'd consider another trade maybe the comp pick 3rd for another DL that can produce now.  You want to draft well and even grab value at corner with the deep class, but FA really set them up where you still need to go to war with more trench pieces. 
See that's what I was thinking as well. It's been a rare sighting for the Bengals to trade back up into the first, but they have the picks to do so. They could also package their first and a third to move up from their current pick and go get the guy they want instead of waiting to see where the OT chips start to fall. I'd prefer them to be proactive and go that route, honestly. That still leaves them their second round pick and either their third or the comp third. So a NT could still be on the board there.
I guess that's why I'm not so down on this FA period as most. They have the picks to move around to get guys they want in the draft. Now, if they don't use this plethora of picks to do so, we miss out on a REALLY good player or two, and end up with 3+ extra picks that don't make the roster after preseason, I will for sure see this FA peroid as a big ole fail.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2024, 11:57 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: I'm guessing Higgins wants more than Ridley just got, He is not worth it, He isn't worth the franchise tag IMO

Tee is 4 years younger than Calvin, has never been suspended for rules violations, and has similar stats:

Ridley's "average year":  65 Catches, 872 yards, 7 TDs

Tee's "average year": 65 Catches, 921 yards, 6 TDs

Why is he not worth more than Ridley? 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2024, 12:25 PM)spazz70 Wrote: Agreed BUT...the article that I read stated that they gave permission to Higgins to seek a trade....so, why no trade?

Are the Bengals asking too much?

Is Higgin's value not as much as he/his agent thought?

I asked this a few days ago in another thread....Basically is Tee a WR1?

If he is/thinks he is then a 1st round draft pick should be the only compensation.

If he is not/Bengals do not view him as that then the money being asked is not proper.

Ridley is a best case comparison at this point....Dude has been injured....Dude was suspended for gambling while injured....He had a similar season to Higgins average season a couple years ago....1000 yards...8 or so TDs....Ridley just signed for 23 mil per year....92 total/50 guaranteed.

My conclusion from above ...trade Tee now for whatever you can get that is reasonable...a late first/early second.....second rounder/4th rounder....he is not going to be here long term just from Ridley's contract....Higgins would be looking for 26-30 mil with more guaranteed if this is what Ridley is getting and rightly so if that is the market.  Higgins is 10 times the player that Ridley is statistically and on and off the field.

The Ridley signing may hurt more than we think as other teams may not be able/wanting to pay Higgins what his perceived value is in a trade.

For all those saying Bengals worry too much about future cap to pay players now to win. How would trading a very good WR now help us in 2024?  In 2025 as we also can tag him again?
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote