Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bengals signing Dansby
Fred 3:16,
"For Fred so loved the board that he gave his left ball so we could be free of whiners all"

I just saw Fred's post with "3-16" in it and couldn't resist.
Reply/Quote
I like the idea of Dansby signing. Roster wise he replaces (and is a huge upgrade over) Emmanuel Lamur, and it means we FINALLY have a LB not named Burflict who can defend well versus both run and pass.

I suspect our starters will likely by Karlos, Tez and Vinnie Rey as time goes on. It also lets them bring Dawson along and work him in when they are ready. During the suspension we're probably looking at Dansby, Maualuga and Rey.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
We are 2-3 years too late on this signing

Should've went harder for him the last time he was a free agent

Of course we can get him now

Nobody else wanted him
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Hear! Hear! Fred will not have any bitching or moaning on these forums henceforth! All transgressors will be berated accordingly!
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2016, 02:52 AM)Housh Wrote: We are 2-3 years too late on this signing

Nobody else wanted him

Are people ever happy? Hindsight is 20/20.

At any rate dansby was rated as the 5th best coverage linebacker in the NFL last year and was the Browns best defender (both to pff standards)

Browns sucked last year, yes. But dansby can still play good football, and when surrounded by better players, like our DL, he could be even better. It is a stop gap for a year or two, but the bengals have a be at Lb and are addressing it.

Same thing at WR.
Reply/Quote

Nobody else wanted him

I would have loved to have him 2-3 years ago as well, but there is no truth to your statement that no one else wanted him.  One of the problems for a player like Dansby is that even with his talent level, a lot of teams are in a complete rebuilding mode.  This means that you would rather go young and hope to develop a player at his position (even one that everyone may believe is not as good a player right now) because by the time that team is ready to compete for a playoff run, a guy like Dansby will be on the end of his deal and likely his career.  They want a team that can grow together. 

For the Bengals, however, he provides an instant upgrade (my opinion) over every linebacker not named Burfict and can play any of the positions.  I think what excited me the most is the talent that he has surrounding him here.  He has to see that as well.  Competition improves the breed so does anyone fear Maualuga coming in overweight or unmotivated?  

I don't mean to make this sound like they just signed Brian Urlacher in his prime, but this is a significant upgrade over almost everyone in that position group.  Don't forget, either, that he was released by the Browns which means he does not count against the potential bounty of compensatory picks the Bengals are likely to receive next year for the likes of Marvin Jones, Mo Sanu, Andre Smith, and even Eman Lamur.  

I love it.  Well done, Bengals.  
Reply/Quote
Great move!

Does this mean Hawk is likely done?
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
Great signing.

Dansby makes plays. 

He will be a great influence on Tez.

I think he has two solid years left in him.

One of the best FA we have ever signed.

Sign LaFell and we can go with BPA during the draft with no issues.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2016, 09:17 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Great move!

Does this mean Hawk is likely done?

We could keep Hawk around... This just helped fill the void Lamur left.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
It's a great signing. Makes that position a strong one overall.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2016, 02:52 AM)Housh Wrote: Nobody else wanted him

This comment has no basis in reality.

There is a big difference between disagreeing with the Bengals and just making stuff up out of thin air to cry about.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2016, 08:31 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Are people ever happy?  Hindsight is 20/20.

Hindsight:  understanding of a situation or event only after it has happened or developed

It's not a catchall phrase to wash away people's valid points, despite how often it seems to be used that way. If he understood that signing a washed up James Harrison instead of Karlos Dansby was a bad idea at the time, the hindsight 20/20 phrase doesn't really apply.... and it wasn't hard to realize right then and there that a 35-year-old 4-3 OLB wasn't a good choice over Dansby.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2016, 08:31 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Are people ever happy?  Hindsight is 20/20.

At any rate dansby was rated as the 5th best coverage linebacker in the NFL last year and was the Browns best defender (both to pff standards)

Browns sucked last year, yes.  But dansby can still play good football, and when surrounded by better players, like our DL, he could be even better.  It is a stop gap for a year or two, but the bengals have a be at Lb and are addressing it.

Same thing at WR.

I think almost everyone is happy to have him. That said, there was a big portion of people on here that wanted Dansby over James Harrison 2 years ago. So it's not really hindsight for them to say we should've signed him back then. 

Either way, like I said, better late than never. He'll still be a fine 1 year rental.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2016, 06:01 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: think your right about Rey M i believe he signed a new 3 year deal last year but i think its mostly front loaded.  That said marvin has a starting middle linebacker for several years in a row hes not likely to go back to a new one every year soon if he can help it lol

Thought so.

Now we have atleast 4 guys that can all play MIKE...

Maualuga, Dansby, Vinny and Burfict.

And we have atleast 4 guys that can all play WILL...

Burfict, Dansby, Vinny and Dawson. Could even throw Flowers in there if he can stay healthy.

If we draft a LB'er it should be one that is built for the SAM position.

I actually like Shake's idea of putting Dansby at MIKE and moving Maualuga to SAM for the time being.
Reply/Quote
I think Dansby will play SAM and that is fine. When Burfict is healthy we can have Dansby and Burfict as our LB on passing downs as well. Mauluaga has actually been pretty decent at MIKE the last couple years.
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2016, 10:14 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: We could keep Hawk around... This just helped fill the void Lamur left.

This.

The Bengals usually keep 6 but with could roll with 7 if they draft a guy.

Vontaze
Malaluga
Dansby
Dawson
Hawk
Rey

Not too shabby at all.

Hawk can still be an off the bench roleplayer who can play all 3 spots.

Dansby gives the team options in nickel packages they did not have before.

The undrafted collection will prob see some cuts and moves to the PS.    i.e Flowers.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2016, 09:31 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I kinda wish we'd make him our MLB and slide Maualuga back to SLB.

Shake, we should be lucky that we actually invested in a quality LB. Let's count our blessings.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote

Nobody else wanted him

Have you read or heard any of the phone interview the media did with him? 

He wanted to come here.  I'm glad he did. Not only because he wanted to, but why he wanted to. He thinks we have a ton of talent, enough to get a ring, he wants a ring. Let's hope he gets it.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2016, 03:31 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Shake, we should be lucky that we actually invested in a quality LB. Let's count our blessings.

Apologies. I know I'm asking for way too much.  Mellow
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Dansby is a pretty big upgrade over Lamur. It gives us a veteran LB who plays smart and is sound versus both pass and run.
Reply/Quote