Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Obamaphone = waste, fraud, and abuse
(07-22-2015, 01:59 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I would say giving away broadband under his watch would be an expansion.

So no? That's like blaming all of the Supreme Court's actions on the President. He nominates commissioners and the senate confirms them. After that, it's an independent agency.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(07-22-2015, 08:16 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: So no? That's like blaming all of the Supreme Court's actions on the President. He nominates commissioners and the senate confirms them. After that, it's an independent agency.

Independent agency, his appointees, expanding a program under his or any presidents watch. Exactly why these commissions need to be disbanded. None of this should go through by the decisions of unelected and unaccountable people.
(07-22-2015, 08:29 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Independent agency, his appointees, expanding a program under his or any presidents watch.   Exactly why these commissions need to be disbanded.   None of this should go through by the decisions of unelected and unaccountable people.

They're selected by 101 people that we elected...

(07-23-2015, 11:09 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: They're selected by 101 people that we elected...

Yet they are not accountable to the public. You just said we couldn't blame Obama for their actions.... Even though he appointed them. Having any group unaccountable to the public is always a bad deal. And where we get a lot of problems.
(07-23-2015, 02:09 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Yet they are not accountable to the public.   You just said we couldn't blame Obama for their actions....   Even though he appointed them.    Having any group unaccountable to the public is always a bad deal.   And where we get a lot of problems.

They're not lifetime appointments. They have to try to win their jobs back.

And it's not even like this is an actual problem.

(07-21-2015, 10:12 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: This whole program needs scrapped.  And yes reagan is an idiot for starting it and bush, clinton, Obama who is expanding....  It's all a joke .

Back at the time, elderly folks on fixed income often had no means to get emergency calls for help out, if they were having a medical emergency.

It was also good that he extended that to the indigent, so that they could have a phone to make local calls.

At the time, it was a simple landline, a "lifeline" if you will.  Don't really understand why is should have ever been expanded to cell phones, those are a convenience, not a necessity.  Really boggled by the idea of giving away free broadband.  This is a program that started out with the sincerest of intentions, and has morphed into yet, another gratuitous waste of taxpayer dollars.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(07-23-2015, 02:20 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: They're not lifetime appointments. They have to try to win their jobs back.

And it's not even like this is an actual problem.

its a massive problem. These agencies have can regulate almost anything. With a vote of non elected people. Who gets appointed by the president.
(07-23-2015, 02:25 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: its a massive problem.   These agencies have can regulate almost anything.   With a vote of non elected people.   Who gets appointed by the president.

And confirmed by the Senate. If you don't like what they're doing, you elect a new President and Senator and hope they put someone in who you do like.

But, yea, I guess cheap phones is a MASSIVE problem lol

Or you write to your congressman and petition them to pass legislation. Unlike the Supreme Court, it's easy to counter the actions of these agencies.

(07-23-2015, 02:26 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: And confirmed by the Senate. If you don't like what they're doing, you elect a new President and Senator and hope they put someone in who you do like.

Why are we paying for these? The amount of fraud and abuse is staggering. Now they wanna give them broadband? Ridiculous.
(07-23-2015, 02:27 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Or you write to your congressman and petition them to pass legislation. Unlike the Supreme Court, it's easy to counter the actions of these agencies.

Easy lol .... Like when they hammered us with net neutrality even though it wasnt wanted.
(07-23-2015, 02:26 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: And confirmed by the Senate. If you don't like what they're doing, you elect a new President and Senator and hope they put someone in who you do like.

It's not so much that is a COLLOSAL waste, it's the fact that it is yet, another example of a waste of taxpayer money.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(07-23-2015, 02:31 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Easy lol .... Like when they hammered us with net neutrality even though it wasnt wanted.

Yea, a Republican controlled Congress can pass a bill. To counter a Supreme Court ruling, you need an amendment. We've had 27 amendments in 225 or so years. We pass over 10,000 laws each session of congress.

(07-23-2015, 02:35 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It's not so much that is a COLLOSAL waste, it's the fact that it is yet, another example of a waste of taxpayer money.

Is it really, though? I'd argue it's not a waste to help the poor afford phones. It also uses money gained from telecommunication programs not from taxes. We're paying it indirectly, but it's not taxpayer money in the same sense that other spending is.

(07-23-2015, 02:46 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Yea, a Republican controlled Congress can pass a bill. To counter a Supreme Court ruling, you need an amendment. We've had 27 amendments in 225 or so years. We pass over 10,000 laws each session of congress.

Is it really, though? I'd argue it's not a waste to help the poor afford phones. It also uses money gained from telecommunication programs not from taxes. We're paying it indirectly, but it's not taxpayer money in the same sense that other spending is.

See post #26

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(07-23-2015, 02:53 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: See post #26

I did, there was nothing there.

Landline phones are a dying technology. It makes a lot more sense to offer cell phones. You also have people who have issues maintaining residency in once place, so this is a much better option for them than a landline. Add on top of that the fact that most places require a number for them to reach you at if you want a job or need their services, and this becomes a huge benefit for the poor.

Also, adding broadband as an option (you pick phone or broadband) is a great thing for families with kids who need the internet for school. It's not always easy to get a library with a computer.

(07-23-2015, 03:24 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I did, there was nothing there.

Landline phones are a dying technology. It makes a lot more sense to offer cell phones. You also have people who have issues maintaining residency in once place, so this is a much better option for them than a landline. Add on top of that the fact that most places require a number for them to reach you at if you want a job or need their services, and this becomes a huge benefit for the poor.

Also, adding broadband as an option (you pick phone or broadband) is a great thing for families with kids who need the internet for school. It's not always easy to get a library with a computer.

Every library has a computer. They can also stay after school and use the schools internet. Plus everyone has a cell phone and can get internet on their phones.

Giving broadband is just ridiculos. They don't need thaf level of speed.
(07-23-2015, 08:42 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Every library has a computer.   They can also stay after school and use the schools internet.   Plus everyone has a cell phone and can get internet on their phones.  

Giving broadband is just ridiculos.   They don't need thaf level of speed.

Then they can walk home...well, if the school is even open for students after class since a lot can't afford the after school programs anymore.

And if the student didn't live a 30 minute bus ride away because the school district had to close schools to save some money because actually funding public education is opposed by so many politicians.

And now that I mention it so is funding of public libraries!  Hope their's had a successful fundraiser or two to stay open for the kids!

And hey, if the folks can't afford good internet...too bad!  So what if the kid falls behind at school?!?!  They can go get a nice minimum wage paying job!  Until they revoke the minimum wage because no one can tell a ME how much to pay someone who didn't care to get a good education when its offered for free!!

Mellow

[Image: Animal+Farm+poster.jpg]
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(07-23-2015, 03:24 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote:  

Landline phones are a dying technology.

That is what I used to think, until my mom (teaches operator classes for Century link) informed me that over 2/3 of households (not counting businesses) still have active land lines.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(07-23-2015, 09:21 PM)GMDino Wrote: Then they can walk home...well, if the school is even open for students after class since a lot can't afford the after school programs anymore.

And if the student didn't live a 30 minute bus ride away because the school district had to close schools to save some money because actually funding public education is opposed by so many politicians.

And now that I mention it so is funding of public libraries!  Hope their's had a successful fundraiser or two to stay open for the kids!

And hey, if the folks can't afford good internet...too bad!  So what if the kid falls behind at school?!?!  They can go get a nice minimum wage paying job!  Until they revoke the minimum wage because no one can tell a ME how much to pay someone who didn't care to get a good education when its offered for free!!

Mellow

[Image: Animal+Farm+poster.jpg]

Well if your past being dramatic..... Any kid can go to school early in the morning and can stay after without much issue. There is always a teacher or administrator working.

There is no after school program for staying at school to use the library to study. It's just kids working hard and teachers supporting their hard work. Not everything has to be a "program"

You act as if by not giving them high speed broadband we are somehow shafting them.... Broadband isn't a right mate ..... It's a luxury. My bill doesn't need increased so they can use Netflix and play Skyrim.

And as for the free cell phone. It should be a land line only. Too easy to sell the phones and unlock them. Once again why am i being charged extra so they can sell their phones.
(07-23-2015, 10:37 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Well if your past being dramatic.....  Any kid can go to school early in the morning and can stay after without much issue.   There is always a teacher or administrator working.  

There is no after school program for staying at school to use the library to study.   It's just kids working hard and teachers supporting their hard work.   Not everything has to be a "program"

You act as if by not giving them high speed broadband we are somehow shafting them....   Broadband isn't a right mate .....   It's a luxury.    My bill doesn't need increased so they can use Netflix and play Skyrim.  

And as for the free cell phone.    It should be a land line only.   Too easy to sell the phones and unlock them.  Once again why am i being charged extra so they can sell their phones.

And let me guess...you're probably also one of the ones who complain about how much teachers get paid, the strength of teach's unions and how they get three months off a year.

Mellow

No, broadband isn't a "right" but in the "greatest country God himself ever created"™ I think we should have internet access made available to everyone.  I know, I know, there's no profit in doing things to help people.  Money > people is the mantra in the US.  But heaven forbid we help a poor kid get a leg up because he might watch a movie too.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.