Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
White House bans CNN reporter from press conference
(08-01-2018, 12:03 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Edit:  I saw it. That doesn’t bother me.

It's a bit stupid though, isn't it. There's just a vibe of primitivity.

(08-01-2018, 01:52 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The whole thing is kind of ironic to me. Seems some want to suppress the 1st Amendment right of some to be able to freely express theirs.

WTS, the chanting and gestures are uncalled for, but am I the only one that sees the irony? 

I haven't heard anyone claiming the chanters' rights shoud be suppressed though. People said the chants are kind of unsettling, that's all.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(08-01-2018, 01:56 PM)GMDino Wrote: I would usually defer to the expert (probably) but this isn't about them not being allowed to express themselves...it's about them expressing something because Trump told them it was true.

It's about a group of voters (jebus save us) that think any media that disagrees with their views should be shouted down.

But I'll take your word that you find it ironic somehow.

I can only assume that first sentence made more sense in your head. Because when you read it written out; it contradicts itself. 

"This isn't about them not being able to express themselves, it's about them not being able to express themselves" 

[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(08-01-2018, 02:01 PM)hollodero Wrote: I haven't heard anyone claiming the chanters' rights shoud be suppressed though. People said the chants are kind of unsettling, that's all.

No one has said they shouldn't be able to say that. Like you said, the concern is that vitriol towards the press for reporting the truth in unsettling, especially when it is promoted by the President.  We don't want to become a nation that rejects truth over rhetoric. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(08-01-2018, 02:01 PM)hollodero Wrote: It's a bit stupid though, isn't it. There's just a vibe of primitivity.

I haven't heard anyone claiming the chanters' rights shoud be suppressed though. People said the chants are kind of unsettling, that's all.

Of course he's advocating that their speech be supressed or censored at a minimum.

I wonder if he has the same worries when the press expresses hate and anger in their writing. Hell we see it all the time in this very forum. As I said the chants are uncalled for, but a member of the media to express his displeasure with it is ironic.  

(08-01-2018, 02:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Of course he's advocating that their speech be supressed or censored at a minimum.

I wonder if he has the same worries when the press expresses hate and anger in their writing. Hell we see it all the time in this very forum. As I said the chants are uncalled for, but a member of the media to express his displeasure with it is ironic.  

[Image: giphy.gif]
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(08-01-2018, 02:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Of course he's advocating that their speech be supressed or censored at a minimum.

The calls are uncalled for, that's pretty much what Acosta said, plus that it's indeed kind of unsettling and poses a potential danger. That he advocates suppressing speech or censoring people (whatever that means) is an assumption you make, it's not something he (or Dino or anyone "in this very forum") actually literally does. So all the irony you're constructing is based on your assumption alone, not on things really happening. That's the irony I see.

Also, I find your accusation of "written hate speech" to be strange as well. That reporting about Trump's deeds and being critical of them is percieved as so hateful that non-FOX press members have lost their moral right to name uncalled chants uncalled chants is unsettling too.

Good grief, nobody is trying to repress the rights right to hate people.
(08-01-2018, 02:37 PM)Benton Wrote: Good grief, nobody is trying to repress the  rights right to hate people.

On either side

(08-01-2018, 02:24 PM)hollodero Wrote: The calls are uncalled for, that's pretty much what Acosta said, plus that it's indeed kind of unsettling and poses a potential danger. That he advocates suppressing speech or censoring people (whatever that means) is an assumption you make, it's not something he (or Dino or anyone "in this very forum") actually literally does. So all the irony you're constructing is based on your assumption alone, not on things really happening. That's the irony I see.

Also, I find your accusation of "written hate speech" to be strange as well. That reporting about Trump's deeds and being critical of them is percieved as so hateful that non-FOX press members have lost their moral right to name uncalled chants uncalled chants is unsettling too.

Got it. He was just saying

(08-01-2018, 02:46 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Got it. He was just saying

Right. He said things. It appears you have a problem with that. Nonetheless, I don't accuse you of wanting to restrict his first amendment rights.
(08-01-2018, 02:01 PM)hollodero Wrote: It's a bit stupid though, isn't it. There's just a vibe of primitivity.

I’m not a chanting or protesting type so I wouldn’t be doing it, but the most they were doing was making it difficult to have a live broadcast. That just doesn’t bother me.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(08-01-2018, 03:32 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I’m not a chanting or protesting type so I wouldn’t be doing it, but the most they were doing was making it difficult to have a live broadcast. That just doesn’t bother me.

Yeah I don't see a big deal either.
(08-01-2018, 10:10 AM)GMDino Wrote: Meanwhile...

Gary Busey's son Eric Trump seems to think this is a good thing.  And the POTUS retweeted it.

Trump defenders/supporters must be SO proud of their "man".

I understand why they do this. Last night Trump spoke only truth when he said that, unlike voting, you need an ID to shop at a grocery store. 

Then the dishonest media said that there's no requirement to show your ID at a grocery store. Minister of Truth Sarah Huckabee Sanders set the record straight when she told the lamestream media that Trump clearly meant when you buy beer and wine at a grocery store. 

(08-01-2018, 04:56 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I understand why they do this. Last night Trump spoke only truth when he said that, unlike voting, you need an ID to shop at a grocery store. 

Then the dishonest media said that there's no requirement to show your ID at a grocery store. Minister of Truth Sarah Huckabee Sanders set the record straight when she told the lamestream media that Trump clearly meant when you buy beer and wine at a grocery store. 

Folks do this to distract from the actual issue at hand. They will distract from the validity of presenting ID to vote by pointing something Trump said wrong about showing identification while shopping. 

Trump: I think voters should be required to show identification to vote, we must show ID when we shop.

Person trying to deflect from subject at hand: LOL, Trump said you have to show ID to shop.

(08-01-2018, 05:26 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Folks do this to distract from the actual issue at hand. They will distract from the validity of presenting ID to vote by pointing something Trump said wrong about showing identification while shopping. 

Trump: I think voters should be required to show identification to vote, we must show ID when we shop.

Person trying to deflect from subject at hand: LOL, Trump said you have to show ID to shop.

I was led to believe for quite some time that the person making a claim has the burden of proof. When the proof backing their argument is false, I did not realize that one must accept the falsehood and address the argument as if the faulty evidence supporting it were true. 

I would argue that folks make up things to distract from the actual issue at hand. When you're trying to argue that there's voter fraud and we need to have a greater burden on voters to vote, one would expect evidence to back that up, like 3 to 5 million illegal votes in the 2016 elections (which I was told happened). I imagine there's a commission that could explore this and provide relevant evidence to support the need for voter ID laws. 

(08-01-2018, 06:22 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I was led to believe for quite some time that the person making a claim has the burden of proof. When the proof backing their argument is false, I did not realize that one must accept the falsehood and address the argument as if the faulty evidence supporting it were true. 

I would argue that folks make up things to distract from the actual issue at hand. When you're trying to argue that there's voter fraud and we need to have a greater burden on voters to vote, one would expect evidence to back that up, like 3 to 5 million illegal votes in the 2016 elections (which I was told happened). I imagine there's a commission that could explore this and provide relevant evidence to support the need for voter ID laws. 

There are many occasions where the shopper must provide identification to include buying alcohol, tobacco, and writing a check to pay for the groceries.  So it is not a false claim to assert you must provide an ID when you shop for groceries. Hell, I shop at the Commissary on post and have to show ID to enter the store. I think Sam's club is similar.

But feel free to think you and others are actually pointing something of relevance when you focus on Trump saying ID is required to shop for groceries. I go on thinking it is pointless and petty,    

(08-01-2018, 05:26 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Person trying to deflect from subject at hand: LOL, Trump said you have to show ID to shop.

Oh, I for one do not want to distract from anything. Still, that Trump actually said that is hilarious. Big lol indeed.
(08-01-2018, 06:45 PM)hollodero Wrote: Oh, I for one do not want to distract from anything. Still, that Trump actually said that is hilarious. Big lol indeed.

Goes to show folk's perspectives are different; as I do not find the assertion that ID is required when you shop to fall into the hilarious category. There are many instances when an ID is required. 

The Press Secretary provided such an example, but folks LOL, not because it is funny; put because of their bias.  

There's a term for this condition; however, it escapes me at the moment.

(08-01-2018, 06:53 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Goes to show folk's perspectives are different; as I do not find the assertion that ID is required when you shop to fall into the hilarious category. There are many instances when an ID is required. 

The Press Secretary provided such an example, but folks LOL, not because it is funny; put because of their bias.  

There's a term for this condition; however, it escapes me at the moment.

Well, to be fair he claimed ID is necessary to buy groceries. Not just "shopping" like in shopping for a gun. It just sounds quite detached. 
I admittedly do have bias, as I do think Trump can say really stupid things at times. If one is biased in thinking he's a very high IQ person, one might read his statements differently. I put it in the "island surrounded by water, lots of water, ocean water" category though.

And that has nothing to do with my stance on voter ID. I for one find it absurd that the US doesn't require ID for voting. Trump could really have chosen a more clever way to make that point though, and me saying that really isn't a symptom of mental derangement. I refute that.
(08-01-2018, 07:05 PM)hollodero Wrote: Well, to be fair he claimed ID is necessary to buy groceries. Not just "shopping" like in shopping for a gun. It just sounds quite detached. 
I admittedly do have bias, as I do think Trump can say really stupid things at times. If one is biased in thinking he's a very high IQ person, one might read his statements differently. I put it in the "island surrounded by water, lots of water, ocean water" category though.

And that has nothing to do with my stance on voter ID. I for one find it absurd that the US doesn't require ID for voting. Trump could really have chosen a more clever way to make that point though, and me saying that really isn't a symptom of mental derangement. I refute that.
And both I and the Press Secretary have provided examples of when ID is required to buy groceries.

Sure he could have more eloquently made the point of ID requirement(s), but it really doesn't make his example hilarious. Nothing you said in this post is a symptom of derangement. But obsessing on the given example just might be.  Dude said "ID is required to buy groceries"; that's it.