Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Kavanaugh SCOTUS hearings
(09-17-2018, 07:31 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I mentioned this here before; unfortunately, it has fallen on deaf ears. There is no place on the Bengals Message Board for political signatures. This is a sports forum and PnR is merely a subforum. Many on here in other forums want nothing to do with folks political biases.

Hopefully it will continue to fall on "deaf ears."

There is most certainly a place for political signatures in a Politics and Religion forum in the USA.

Reminds me of an argument in Germany back in the 80s--some people thought gas stations should not sell potato chips, because gas stations were for gas.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(09-18-2018, 12:24 AM)Dill Wrote: Hopefully it will continue to fall on "deaf ears."

There is most certainly a place for political signatures in a Politics and Religion forum in the USA.

Reminds me of an argument in Germany back in the 80s--some people thought gas stations should not sell potato chips, because gas stations were for gas.

Oh, I have zero doubt it will; unfortunately, you cannot change sigs dependent on which subforum you are in.

I must admit you Germany thoughts seem kind of irrelivant
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Lets give credence to a supposed left wing activist and ignore the 65 women who came forward in support of Kavanaugh.

The 65 women, who claim to have known Kavanaugh for more than 35 years, penned a letter to the Senate Judiciary Committee to vouch for his character.

“We are women who have known Brett Kavanaugh for more than 35 years and knew him while he attended high school between 1979 and 1983. For the entire time we have known Brett Kavanaugh, he has behaved honorably and treated women with respect,” the letter read. “We strongly believe it is important to convey this information to the Committee at this time.”

The women wrote that while Kavanaugh attended Georgetown Preparatory School, an all-boys high school in Bethesda, Maryland, they knew him through “social events, sports, church, and various other activities.”

“Many of us have remained close friends with him and his family over the years. Through the more than 35 years we have known him, Brett has stood out for his friendship, character, and integrity,” they wrote. “In particular, he has always treated women with decency and respect. That was true when he was in high school, and it has remained true to this day.”

They added: “The signers of this letter hold a broad range of political views. Many of us are not lawyers, but we know Brett Kavanaugh as a person. And he has always been a good person.”

Same old story. Anyone that democRATS feel poses a threat to them they seek to destroy their good reputation.
Well well, what a coincidence.

Funny how in 2012 Christine Ford's memory was jogged over her "traumatic" event decades earlier as democRATS were bracing for a possible Romney win.
Had Romney won, it was a strong possibility that Romney would nominate Kavanaugh for SCOTUS.

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2018/09/kavanaughs_accuser_recovered_her_memory_at_the_time_dems_were_panicked_romney_would_win_and_nominate_him_to_scotus.html
Is Kavanaugh still bringing ali those young girls who are friends of his daughter to the hearings? Creepy.
(09-17-2018, 07:31 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I mentioned this here before; unfortunately, it has fallen on deaf ears. There is no place on the Bengals Message Board for political signatures. This is a sports forum and PnR is merely a subforum. Many on here in other forums want nothing to do with folks political biases.

[Image: dq0bfs54yvt4nez4g.jpg]
(09-18-2018, 05:05 AM)Vlad Wrote: Lets give credence to a supposed left wing activist and ignore the 65 women who came forward in support of Kavanaugh.

The 65 women, who claim to have known Kavanaugh for more than 35 years, penned a letter to the Senate Judiciary Committee to vouch for his character.

“We are women who have known Brett Kavanaugh for more than 35 years and knew him while he attended high school between 1979 and 1983. For the entire time we have known Brett Kavanaugh, he has behaved honorably and treated women with respect,” the letter read. “We strongly believe it is important to convey this information to the Committee at this time.”

The women wrote that while Kavanaugh attended Georgetown Preparatory School, an all-boys high school in Bethesda, Maryland, they knew him through “social events, sports, church, and various other activities.”

“Many of us have remained close friends with him and his family over the years. Through the more than 35 years we have known him, Brett has stood out for his friendship, character, and integrity,” they wrote. “In particular, he has always treated women with decency and respect. That was true when he was in high school, and it has remained true to this day.”

They added: “The signers of this letter hold a broad range of political views. Many of us are not lawyers, but we know Brett Kavanaugh as a person. And he has always been a good person.”

Same old story. Anyone that democRATS feel poses a threat to them they seek to destroy their good reputation.

Well five of them still stand with that letter. 

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/09/16/trump-kavanaugh-allegations-response-826069

So he's got that going for him.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Anyone have any information on the polygraph that Dr. Ford took?
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(09-18-2018, 05:57 AM)Vlad Wrote: Well well, what a coincidence.

Funny how in 2012 Christine Ford's memory was jogged over her "traumatic" event decades earlier as democRATS were bracing for a possible Romney win.
Had Romney won, it was a strong possibility that Romney would nominate Kavanaugh for SCOTUS.

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2018/09/kavanaughs_accuser_recovered_her_memory_at_the_time_dems_were_panicked_romney_would_win_and_nominate_him_to_scotus.html

That's a few stretches too many
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(09-18-2018, 05:05 AM)Vlad Wrote: Lets give credence to a supposed left wing activist and ignore the 65 women who came forward in support of Kavanaugh.

A couple hundred former classmates signed a letter supporting Ford.

https://splinternews.com/hundreds-of-women-from-christine-blasey-fords-high-scho-1829113321

That's more than 65!

She wins!

Smirk
(09-18-2018, 08:50 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Anyone have any information on the polygraph that Dr. Ford took?

I've seen nothing other than something saying she passed it.

I've never been a fan of them as then can be beaten from what I read, but a general willingness to have one (to me) means a certain self confidence of innocence and truth telling.

With that said I know it can't be used in a court of law.

I also know that many people on the side defending Kavanaugh and attacking Ford love them some coerced confessions and ignoring facts and hiding others when it comes to criminal cases...so I suppose they will ignore the results for reasons different than mine.
(09-18-2018, 08:52 AM)GMDino Wrote: A couple hundred former classmates signed a letter supporting Ford.

https://splinternews.com/hundreds-of-women-from-christine-blasey-fords-high-scho-1829113321

That's more than 65!

She wins!

Smirk

To be fair, it's 200 people who went to the same school, not 200 classmates. Their time at the school ranges from 1968 to present.

That's not to say that getting 65 female character witness signatures within hours isn't suspicious or that they're even relevant to what he could have done, but this letter is meaningless. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

The POTUS has admitted sexual assault, but you'd likely find 65 women, many of them on the religious right, who would speak to how swell a guy he is. Letters like this dont add or subtract, they only distract.
(09-18-2018, 09:06 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: To be fair, it's 200 people who went to the same school, not 200 classmates. Their time at the school ranges from 1968 to present.

That's not to say that getting 65 female character witness signatures within hours isn't suspicious or that they're even relevant to what he could have done, but this letter is meaningless. 

200!   Mellow

I suppose I could have used the  Ninja to point out that neither of the letters matter but why?
Russian bots expect us to believe he got all these signatures 25 minutes after the accusations went public?

Nah, he knew about this accusation well ahead of time, and had it prepared.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
I think a dynamic many are missing is that the accused is assumed innocent until proven guilty.

The best illustration I ever saw of this was in a court room where a defense attorney stood on front of the jury box centered during her opening. And she said: "Many of you came in here today with an open mind and no bias. You're starting right here in the middle. Now the prosecution is going to do some things that well pull you to their side" and she move toward one side of the jury box.

And then she continued 'And then the defense is going to do some things that will pull you to their side" and she moved toward the other side of the jury box. "And your going to have this constant struggle of being pulled from side to side, until you get moved to one side or the other"

She paused and then said "If that is you then you are approaching it all wrong". You must start all the way over here" she moved to the defense side of the jury box "and be pulled all the way over here" she moved to the prosecution side. "If you do not get all the way from here to here, then you cannot find guilty".

Too often we go in neither leaning toward innocence or guilt or even worse; we go in assuming guilt.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(09-18-2018, 10:53 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I think a dynamic many are missing is that the accused is assumed innocent until proven guilty.

The best illustration I ever saw of this was in a court room where a defense attorney stood on front of the jury box centered during her opening. And she said: "Many of you came in here today with an open mind and no bias. You're starting right here in the middle. Now the prosecution is going to do some things that well pull you to their side" and she move toward one side of the jury box.

And then she continued 'And then the defense is going to do some things that will pull you to their side" and she moved toward the other side of the jury box. "And your going to have this constant struggle of being pulled from side to side, until you get moved to one side or the other"

She paused and then said "If that is you then you are approaching it all wrong". You must start all the way over here" she moved to the defense side of the jury box "and be pulled all the way over here" she moved to the prosecution side. "If you do not get all the way from here to here, then you cannot find guilty".

Too often we go in neither leaning toward innocence or guilt or even worse; we go in assuming guilt.

Well he is guilty of lying under oath twice.
(09-17-2018, 01:05 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Should have come forward much sooner. In terms of "is it relevant?", I would say it does not make them who they are now, but it certainly should be considered for something as important as SCOTUS as we, traditionally, add a higher level of scrutiny to our top officials.

Sure, to a point.  An even better question here is "is it provable"?  Right now you have the accuser's version against Kavanaugh and his friend's word.  How do you prove an allegation from 35 years ago?  If there is no "proof" other than the accuser's word then I don't see how anyone could logically hold Kavanaugh to account for it.  Every Dem will, using #metoo as a political weapon, but should a logical, fair minded person judge anyone guilty based on a 35 year old accusation with no corroboration?

(09-17-2018, 01:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Depends on if he lies about it at age 53.

Exactly how will you know if that occurs?  Let's say, for the sake of argument, that the accuser's story is 100% true.  By her own account Kavanaugh was "staggering drunk".  he could truthfully say he has no memory of it ever happening even if it did.  Which leads us back to the original question, how are you even going to determine if the story is true?

(09-17-2018, 01:13 PM)Benton Wrote: Interjecting here, but...

To the first:
Midterms. You don't throw the hail mary on second and short.

Thank you for being the first person to acknowledge that Feinstein's actions were both calculated and purely political.

Quote:To the second: Similar to what Matt said, I've thought a lot about this at different times. I think you have to look at it on a case by case basis. The severity of the act, age, record since then, etc. For Kavanaugh, I don't think this would necessarily be an issue that should prevent the nomination, mostly because it's just an accusation. On the other hand, Kavanaugh (correctly or not) seems like he couldn't tell the truth if it was written down a cue card. For that, I don't think he should be on the court.  

I largely agree with your points.  As to Kavanaugh's truthfulness, being evasive, or rather non-committal is rather par for the course in today's political atmosphere.  

(09-17-2018, 01:29 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I disagree. The juvenile justice system is established to acknowledge that young people do stupid shit and shouldn't necessarily be punished for life for it. They have an opportunity to learn and move on, being a productive member of society. Something like this disqualifying him from SCOTUS isn't the same. He is a productive member of society, he still has a lifetime appointment, he doesn't have a criminal record to carry with him all of his life that disqualifies him from jobs, voting, housing, etc. I don't think the comparison is an appropriate one.
[/quote]

But it absolutely is.  You're merely arguing degrees of severity while completely acknowledging my core point.  We're also discussing a completely unprovable allegation.  In any event, your view of the juvenile justice system is a bit outdated, at least by CA standards.  Record sealing is the norm for all juvenile offenses that successfully complete probation and the concept of pre-booking diversion has taken root with the aim at preventing juvenile offenders from even having an arrest record.
(09-18-2018, 06:10 AM)ballsofsteel Wrote: Is Kavanaugh still bringing ali those young girls who are friends of his daughter to the hearings? Creepy.

Only if you have the mind of a creeper.  Mellow
(09-18-2018, 10:56 AM)GMDino Wrote: Well he is guilty of lying under oath twice.

Sure he is, which is why the Dems have been all over him about it and it's been a huge news story.