Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Kavanaugh SCOTUS hearings
(10-02-2018, 09:38 AM)fredtoast Wrote: The only deadline the Republicans have to squeal about is next year when the newly elected congress is sworn in.   So no way to blame the Dems for the "short" investigation unless it bumps up against that deadline.

So cry all you want to about the "delay", but unless it runs into next year all the blame is on Republicans.

That was an outstanding job of appearing to say a lot while completely avoiding the point you wanted to appear to be addressing.   ThumbsUp
I'm sure there is more to this than my puny mind can comprehend, but if I'm the McManager of a McDonalds and someone with these kinds of "maybe did a bunch of stuff, maybe didn't, maybe touches women, maybe doesn't, binge drinks but says he doesn't" red flags applies for a job as unimportant as burger-flipper I would toss the application in the trash.

Rich white people, mostly men who are straight (just to hedge their bets) really do live different lives than the rest of us. Ah well, remember all those athletes who are lousy people but still get the big jobs and the big bucks, eh?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(10-02-2018, 10:41 AM)GMDino Wrote: Geeze republicans are angry about this.

Anyway, one of my favorite highlights of the hearing last week was when Kavanaugh was asked if he was the "Bart O'Kavanaugh" that puked (ralphed?) in his buddies car from drinking.  First he said Judge mixed and matched names then he said, I swear he said this "I don't know".

How could you NOT know if you were the one who tossed cookies in your buddy's car unless a) multiple people did that or b) you were so drunk you forgot.

That, to me, is a yes or no question for a fine upstanding young man like Kavanaugh...if he's really telling us the truth.

You found that more entertaining than the great war hero Blumenthal. asserting Falsus in uno, falsus in omnibus?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(10-02-2018, 12:11 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm sure there is more to this than my puny mind can comprehend, but if I'm the McManager of a McDonalds and someone with these kinds of "maybe did a bunch of stuff, maybe didn't, maybe touches women, maybe doesn't, binge drinks but says he doesn't" red flags applies for a job as unimportant as burger-flipper I would toss the application in the trash.

Rich white people, mostly men who are straight (just to hedge their bets) really do live different lives than the rest of us.  Ah well, remember all those athletes who are lousy people but still get the big jobs and the big bucks, eh?

One of the more annoying things I keep seeing on Facebook is something along the lines of "If we hold everyone accountable for what they did in high school, nobody would be employed."

Well, two things. 1- We do, to a degree. For serious crimes we often try those above 16 as adults, and they have that hang over them the rest of their lives when applying for jobs. And, 2- I hate that people have so little faith in humanity. I don't think the majority of teenagers run around raping and committing crimes.
(10-02-2018, 01:08 PM)Benton Wrote: One of the more annoying things I keep seeing on Facebook is something along the lines of "If we hold everyone accountable for what they did in high school, nobody would be employed."

I remember the day I turned 17 and my ol' man took me aside and said "Son, this is a magical time in your life.  Be sure you do as many illegal, morally bankrupt, and sexually deviant things you can in the next few months because once you turn 18 the party is over and you're going to be expected to control yourself in civilized manner." 
(10-02-2018, 12:31 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You found that more entertaining than the great war hero Blumenthal. asserting Falsus in uno, falsus in omnibus?

That snake should have been gone when all that happened. How could any veteran ever vote for him is beyond me.
(10-02-2018, 12:02 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: That was an outstanding job of appearing to say a lot while completely avoiding the point you wanted to appear to be addressing.   ThumbsUp

I said plenty.

Can't blame a limit of 7 days on the investigation on Dems for sitting on the allegations.

So you were wrong to say we have to blame Dems for that.
Seem's Kav's 3rd accuser may have made the mistake of "remembering too much". She may have been better just to roll with the "All I know, is that Kavs assaulted me". Unfortunately, she may find herself in a little hot water.

Apparently the Senate GOP won't release the FBI findings to the public, or don't want to.

Which doesn't matter because once the Senate Dems get a hold of it, the NY Times will have it published by end of the day.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

(10-02-2018, 04:14 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Apparently the Senate GOP won't release the FBI findings to the public, or don't want to.

Which doesn't matter because once the Senate Dems get a hold of it, the NY Times will have it published by end of the day.

That doesn't make a whole lot of sense, and yeah especially since you know it's getting out any way.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(10-02-2018, 03:28 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Seem's Kav's 3rd accuser may have made the mistake of "remembering too much". She may have been better just to roll with the "All I know, is that Kavs assaulted me". Unfortunately, she may find herself in a little hot water.

you got a link to back that up, are you taking a page out of trumps book and just making shit up to deflect
People suck
(10-02-2018, 05:08 PM)Griever Wrote: you got a link to back that up, are you taking a page out of trumps book and just making shit up to deflect

One witness said he never heard of her, the cop she said she talked to is dead, her mother who she said she talked to is dead, and some pretty big inconsistencies between her written statement and her NBC interview.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(10-02-2018, 04:24 PM)michaelsean Wrote: That doesn't make a whole lot of sense, and yeah especially since you know it's getting out any way.  

Should depend on whether or not it's an open investigation.

Generally, open investigation the public doesn't get access to reports; closed they do. Generally.

Personally, I think it's just McConnell's way of protecting GOP lawmakers from vote fallout. I wouldn't be surprised if he tried to vote so the GOP members couldn't even see the report until after the vote, that way they could say they didn't know it was full of bad stuff. Unless it exonerates Kavanaugh, in which case they'd say "told ya so."
Wasn't this guy supposed to be voted in yesterday?
(10-02-2018, 05:08 PM)Griever Wrote: you got a link to back that up, are you taking a page out of trumps book and just making shit up to deflect
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/409533-gop-senator-suggests-sending-criminal-referral-for-third-kavanaugh-accusers

Sen. Bill Cassidy (R-La.) said Tuesday that one of the women accusing Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh of sexual misconduct should be referred to the FBI and Department of Justice (DOJ) for sending what he said was a false affidavit.

(10-02-2018, 04:14 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Apparently the Senate GOP won't release the FBI findings to the public, or don't want to.

I think if the FBI shares them with Fienstien and ask they remain confidential; it'll be safe. 

(10-02-2018, 06:17 PM)bfine32 Wrote: https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/409533-gop-senator-suggests-sending-criminal-referral-for-third-kavanaugh-accusers

Sen. Bill Cassidy (R-La.) said Tuesday that one of the women accusing Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh of sexual misconduct should be referred to the FBI and Department of Justice (DOJ) for sending what he said was a false affidavit.

First rule in the sex-offender handbook is to go after people who aren't exactly choirboys so you can immediate cast doubt on their veracity if/when they come forward.  Well, that's the first rule unless you are a sex-offending priest, in which case the first rule is TO go after choir boys.
The FBI should talk to the parents of those girls on that basketball team he coaches and ask them if their daughters ever told them anything inappropriate that Kav made of done. Not saying he did but if you lie about one thing you would lie about other things. Loving young girls and beer is a bad combination. Cool
There have been a number of times in my life that I'm glad I'm not a liberal, but this episode may be the most proud I have been.

(10-02-2018, 10:16 PM)bfine32 Wrote: There have been a number of times in my life that I'm glad I'm not a liberal, but this episode may be the most proud I have been.

The part where the conman prez is exposed for being the fraud that he is , the national embarassment of a scotus nominee being the posterboy of a morally corrupt republican party , or that feeling when you realize your bubble is invincible and everything you say bounces of me and sticks to you?