Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2020 Presidential Election
(03-13-2020, 12:14 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote:
This is incredibly dishonest coming from him. He knows how the Fed operates and how federal programs are funded, so all he is doing is misleading voters to fire them up.

It's upsetting that so many people have no clue and are blindly defending him when educated people point out that it's wrong.

Yeah, there have been lots of things cropping up similar to this. I posted one in the memes thread because you really can't take these things seriously. However, far too many do.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(03-13-2020, 12:14 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote:
This is incredibly dishonest coming from him. He knows how the Fed operates and how federal programs are funded, so all he is doing is misleading voters to fire them up.

It's upsetting that so many people have no clue and are blindly defending him when educated people point out that it's wrong.

Yea he definitely mis-characterized that.

The more general notion that our federal government is absolutely failing at addressing the crisis is still valid though.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(03-13-2020, 11:13 AM)treee Wrote: The more general notion that our federal government is absolutely failing at addressing the crisis is still valid though.

Absolutely it is and he should focus his message on that. This is why some progressives preferred Warren, though. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(03-13-2020, 06:56 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Absolutely it is and he should focus his message on that. This is why some progressives preferred Warren, though. 

Yep she was definitely my 2nd choice. Bernie's voting history is what has locked me in for him though.
This ties together a few threads but it seems Trump's "sons" are actively campaigning while running his business and they are as dumb as their "dad" is.

Not sure going after someone's stuttering problem is effective in the best of times let alone when your "father" can't pronounce simple words when he's reading a prepared script.  Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
The Democratic Primary is effectively over. Bernie has shut down all of his Facebook ads, including those he began yesterday.

184 counties over 3 states voted and Bernie won 3 of them. All 3 were very small margins (5%, 3%, and 2%).

Joe Biden had nearly twice as many people vote for him than Bernie last night with 2.2m total votes, increasing his previously 1.5m popular vote lead by another 1 million.

Bernie has had 1 win in the last 10 states and it was the smallest state and only caucus: North Dakota.

Bernie out.

Bernie endorses Biden.

AOC grossly overestimates her political capital.

Obama to endorse Biden.

What a week.

(04-14-2020, 11:53 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Bernie out.

Bernie endorses Biden.

AOC grossly overestimates her political capital.

Obama to endorse Biden.

What a week.

I didn't hear about Obama endorsing him.  Wow.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/14/politics/obama-endorses-biden/index.html
It's all about perspective...lol.

[Image: obama-biden.jpg]
(04-14-2020, 12:04 PM)GMDino Wrote: I didn't hear about Obama endorsing him.  Wow.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/14/politics/obama-endorses-biden/index.html

Why wouldn't Obama endorse Biden?  Isn't the whole Biden 2020 thing based around the idea that the democrats learned from 2016 that they can't win without getting the "Obama votes" out there?  In 2016 they got 3 million more votes and still lost by a hearty margin so they have to pull out all the stops if they want to win.
(04-14-2020, 12:07 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Why wouldn't Obama endorse Biden?  Isn't the whole Biden 2020 thing based around the idea that the democrats learned from 2016 that they can't win without getting the "Obama votes" out there?  In 2016 they got 3 million more votes and still lost by a hearty margin so they have to pull out all the stops if they want to win.

Just that he held off until there was only one and I didn't hear until I saw it here.
HRC endorses Biden during a "Virtual Women's Town Hall"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/hillary-clinton-to-endorse-joe-biden-in-virtual-town-hall-tuesday/2020/04/28/b5e9bc0e-8975-11ea-ac8a-fe9b8088e101_story.html

Quote:Former secretary of state Hillary Clinton endorsed Joe Biden for president Tuesday, the latest installment in the Democratic Party’s carefully orchestrated show of unity as it prepares to take on President Trump in the fall.

Clinton’s announcement came during an online video conference between the two leaders, dubbed a “Virtual Women’s Town Hall,” after Biden introduced Clinton as “the woman who should be president of the United States right now.”

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/04/tara-reade-witnesses-joe-biden-assault-harassment.html
Quote:On Monday, Business Insider published interviews with a former colleague and a former neighbor of onetime Joe Biden staffer Tara Reade, adding corroboration to Reade’s account of being sexually assaulted by Biden while she was working in his Senate office in 1993. Both sources went on the record to describe conversations with Reade within a few years of the incident, in which she’d described assault or harassment.
#metoo
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/495173-amash-launches-exploratory-committee-for-presidential-run?fbclid=IwAR0L5kXiJsX83xgykgFV53Zk_d-z9iy46qjcG7MdBF4rrd70htPiSMWSUgg

Justin Amash is eyeing a Libertarian run...

(04-28-2020, 10:02 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/495173-amash-launches-exploratory-committee-for-presidential-run?fbclid=IwAR0L5kXiJsX83xgykgFV53Zk_d-z9iy46qjcG7MdBF4rrd70htPiSMWSUgg

Justin Amash is eyeing a Libertarian run...

I'll probably vote for him anyways, but it's gonna be fun hearing my party-line pals explain why voting for the guy who can put together a cogent thought and isn't gleeful sex offender makes me an idiot.
(03-14-2020, 09:52 AM)GMDino Wrote: Not sure going after someone's stuttering problem is effective in the best of times let alone when your "father" can pronounce simple words when he's reading a prepared script.  Mellow

Heck, why not? Trump made fun of a handicapped guy, women and dead veterans, and hes done well in the polls. People like vulgarity when it's on their side.
(04-29-2020, 12:09 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I'll probably vote for him anyways, but it's gonna be fun hearing my party-line pals explain why voting for the guy who can put together a cogent thought and isn't gleeful sex offender makes me an idiot.

Obviously it doesn't make you that, but also your vote for any third party does not change anything. Not short term, not long term.

In that sense, it seems to boil down to the question if you have any, albeit the slightest, preference for Trump or Biden. If you're completely indifferent about that, then I can get your vote. I get it in other circumstances as well, but in this case I'd see the point of people that call it a wasted vote.
(04-29-2020, 02:50 PM)hollodero Wrote: Obviously it doesn't make you that, but also your vote for any third party does not change anything. Not short term, not long term.

In that sense, it seems to boil down to the question if you have any, albeit the slightest, preference for Trump or Biden. If you're completely indifferent about that, then I can get your vote. I get it in other circumstances as well, but in this case I'd see the point of people that call it a wasted vote.

Pretty much this, and I was a Gary Johnson vote not long ago. If one truly think that neither candidate is better than the other, I can understand someone's logic of voting third party. It's essentially a protest vote, and one that means next to nothing. While I believe that our system makes it nearly impossible for a viable third party, the place to try and make that change is on the local level and building up rather than top down starting with the presidency. 
(04-29-2020, 03:08 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: Pretty much this, and I was a Gary Johnson vote not long ago. If one truly think that neither candidate is better than the other, I can understand someone's logic of voting third party. It's essentially a protest vote, and one that means next to nothing. While I believe that our system makes it nearly impossible for a viable third party, the place to try and make that change is on the local level and building up rather than top down starting with the presidency. 

Which state are you in?

(04-29-2020, 02:50 PM)hollodero Wrote: Obviously it doesn't make you that, but also your vote for any third party does not change anything. Not short term, not long term.

I'd rather see Biden win that Trump, but I'd also rather vote for the person I think is the best for the job, not the person I think will give me the best chance of being on the winning side. 

I just don't see why 3rd party voters are constantly being told to change their votes in the cases where party liners are holding their noses as they cast theirs. 

Maybe im selfish but not voting for a candidate who is morally reprehensible doesn't seem like a wasted vote to me.  Is your vote supposed to be about who you want as president or who you don't want?

Should the ballot say 

DEAR GOD, NOT TRUMP
vs
DEAR GOD, NOT BIDEN

If that's the case then in happy I can cast a vote for dear God not either of those bastards.
(04-29-2020, 03:27 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'd rather see Biden win that Trump, but I'd also rather vote for the person I think is the best for the job, not the person I think will give me the best chance of being on the winning side. 

I just don't see why 3rd party voters are constantly being told to change their votes in the cases where party liners are holding their noses as they cast theirs. 

Maybe im selfish but not voting for a candidate who is morally reprehensible doesn't seem like a wasted vote to me.  Is your vote supposed to be about who you want as president or who you don't want?

Should the ballot say 

DEAR GOD, NOT TRUMP
vs
DEAR GOD, NOT BIDEN

If that's the case then in happy I can cast a vote for dear God not either of those bastards.

I get it. I really really do. I'm also not telling you anything, I say I get the argument of those that do.

Because you put it sarcastically, and this also is very understandable, but it is just like that. The guy who gets the job is either Trump or Biden and that is the only effective choice you have. Voting third party is just as good as not voting at all. You leave the decision between the two, the only decision there effectively is, to the others. Don't be mad at me for pointing that out. That's just the state of things.

Also I do think that the thought "it should be about someone I want, not someone I don't want" is a false flag. As understandable as it is, it is also denial of reality. Which, again, is that it can only be one of those two. And it's possibly about the lesser of two evils, which, honestly, cannot quite be the first time ever you felt that way unless you're way under 30. Jeez, most of my votes were at least as much about avoiding something than about getting something.

The only relevant sentence regarding your actual decision is the first one. Everything else, as sad as this might be, is utopy.

That being said, I do respect your motivation and I sure do not try to shame you into changing it.

PS all that only applies if you live in some kind of swing state. If you don't, you don't have even one choice to begin with. In this case going third party is even more understandable.