Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
More "largely peaceful" Portland protests
(10-01-2020, 12:05 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: This post and article has nothing to do with the thread topic.  Kindly start your own thread instead of hijacking others please.

(10-07-2020, 12:27 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: An utterly disingenuous argument.  If the violence has overshadowed the cause of the protests then the protestors who have allowed their cause to be hijacked are the ones to blame.  I've stated numerous times that the protestors should utterly distance themselves from the daily riots in Portland and violence elsewhere.  This has not happened, they intermingle on a daily basis.  They made their choice to be associated with them, and in some cases have actively promoted them, see Chicago and looting as reparations.  Quit trying to constantly deflect from the actual issue by trying to say others are attempting to deflect.

Ironically this comes from the same people who described the completely peaceful, not one violent incident or criminal act, protests in the Michigan state capital as and oppressive attempt to intimidate and inspire fear (terrorism?).  Inconsistent opinions are worthless opinions.

keepers 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2020, 03:32 PM)Dill Wrote: keepers 

Solid post.  

Sarcasm
Reply/Quote
Oof...attacking journalists now.

It appears the police are allowing this to happen.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2020, 11:12 AM)GMDino Wrote: Oof...attacking journalists now.

Now? I'm pretty sure this isn't the first time journalists have been attacked during a protest/riot this year.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2020, 11:12 AM)GMDino Wrote: Oof...attacking journalists now.

It appears the police are allowing this to happen.

I lobe the double standard in your posts.  law enforcement does something, they're jackbooted thugs.  They do nothing, they're abdicating their responsibility.  There's literally no winning with people like you, hence this will only continue to get worse.  Also, I guess the Hasidic community joined the Proud Boys, eh?

(10-08-2020, 12:04 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Now? I'm pretty sure this isn't the first time journalists have been attacked during a protest/riot this year.

Antifa attacks them on the regular, yet GM has never posted anything about that.  Selective outrage is selective.  I've said it for years, an inconsistent opinion is a useless opinion.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2020, 12:04 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Now? I'm pretty sure this isn't the first time journalists have been attacked during a protest/riot this year.

Now *this group* is attacking journalists.  Not very peaceful.

(10-08-2020, 12:17 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I lobe the double standard in your posts.  law enforcement does something, they're jackbooted thugs.  They do nothing, they're abdicating their responsibility.  There's literally no winning with people like you, hence this will only continue to get worse.  Also, I guess the Hasidic community joined the Proud Boys, eh?

I know how silly I am wanting consistency. Like if the police stopped people from being violent but left the peaceful protesters and media people alone.  Gosh darn...what *AM* I thinking?

And speaking out again violence and bad behavior from *both* sides?  I'm so crazy for pointing that out!  Cool

(10-08-2020, 12:17 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Antifa attacks them on the regular, yet GM has never posted anything about that.  Selective outrage is selective.  I've said it for years, an inconsistent opinion is a useless opinion.

[Image: 4fc7u5.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2020, 12:46 PM)GMDino Wrote: [Image: 4fc7u5.jpg]

I always know when you've acknowledged you can't counter a point, you deploy an unfunny meme.
Reply/Quote
Some interesting/conflicting stuff coming out about this one.

https://reason.com/2020/10/16/the-portland-protest-shooters-death-looks-more-and-more-like-excessive-force-but-trump-keeps-bragging-about-it/

Quote:The Portland Protest Shooter's Death Looks More and More Like Excessive Force—but Trump Keeps Bragging About It
Plus: A tale of two townhalls, Matt Welch interviews Jo Jorgensen, Bill Gates talks antitrust, Ajit Pai moves on Section 230 study, and more...
ELIZABETH NOLAN BROWN | 10.16.2020 10:12 AM
[/url][url=https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?url=https%3A%2F%2Freason.com%2F2020%2F10%2F16%2Fthe-portland-protest-shooters-death-looks-more-and-more-like-excessive-force-but-trump-keeps-bragging-about-it%2F&text=By+many+accounts%2C+the+federal+task+force+members+didn%27t+even+try+to+arrest+Portland+murder+suspect+Michael+Reinoehl+peacefully+%23ReasonRoundup&via=reason][/url][url=https://reason.com/2020/10/16/the-portland-protest-shooters-death-looks-more-and-more-like-excessive-force-but-trump-keeps-bragging-about-it/printer/]
[Image: zumaamericastwentyeight579713-800x450.jpg]
(Mark Downey/ZUMA Press/Newscom)

Execution squad? The more that comes out about the federal task force killing of Portland murder suspect Michael Forest Reinoehl, the worse his death looks.

The president isn't helping. "We sent in the U.S. Marshals. Took 15 minutes, it was over. Fifteen minutes, it was over—we got him," Donald Trump told a crowd in North Carolina on Thursday. "They knew who he was. They didn't want to arrest him, and 15 minutes—that ended."

A benefit-of-the-doubt reading here would be that Trump's "they" who "didn't want to arrest" was a reference to the Portland police—who hadn't yet arrested Reinoehl by the time the task force intervened—and not an admission that agents didn't want to take Reinoehl in alive (as some have been reading it).
But either way, the end of the mission is nothing to be bragging about. By many accounts, the officers didn't even attempt to arrest Reinoehl peacefully.

Investigators said this week that Reinoehl—pursued for fatally shooting Aaron "Jay" Danielson during a confrontation at an August 29 protest in Portland—had a loaded handgun when local law enforcement serving on the U.S. Marshals Pacific Northwest Violent Offender Task Force killed him on September 3. But the gun was still in Reinoehl's front pants pocket as police fired more than 30 bullets at him.

"The new information follows initial reports from investigators [that] the federal fugitive task force involved in shooting Reinoehl gave conflicting statements," reports ABC News.

One member of the task force claimed that Reinoehl pointed a gun at them. Another said that didn't happen, but Reinoehl was reaching for a gun when they shot him. A U.S. Marshal's Office press release claimed Reinoehl "produced a firearm, threatening the lives of law enforcement officers."

This week, Thurston County Sheriff's Lt. Ray Brady said that Reinoehl's hand may have been on a gun or may have been merely "near" the gun.

At a Tuesday press conference, investigators said they still do not know if the gun in Reinoehl's pocket on the night of his death was the same gun used to kill Danielson a few nights prior.

Almost two dozen witnesses to Reinoehl's subsequent death say task force members never identified themselves or warned Reinoehl before opening fire on him, though Sheriff Brady disputed this on Tuesday.

Nathaniel Dingess, who lived nearby, told The Oregonian in September that he "saw Reinoehl walk toward his car holding a cellphone in his hand when two unmarked law enforcement vehicles converged outside the complex [and] began firing at Reinoehl." After initially shooting, they told Reinoehl to halt and then resumed shooting, Dingess said, adding that he never saw Reinoehl reach for a gun.

The New York Times talked with 22 people who had been nearby when Reinoehl was killed, and only one recalled the task force members saying anything before they starting shooting:

Quote:Mr. Louis…some 140 feet from Mr. Reinoehl, also said the police opened fire immediately, without giving any warnings—as did Mr. Smith and Mr. Cutler.
"There was no, 'Get out of the car!' There was no, 'Stop!' There was no nothing. They just got out of the car and started shooting," Mr. Louis said.
Mr. Smith described it similarly: "There was no yelling. There was no screaming. There was no altercation. It was just straight to gunshots."

Of the five eyewitnesses, none saw Reinoehl holding or reaching for a gun.

Despite the questions surrounding the officers conduct, Trump has repeatedly bragged about this operation—and even described it as "retribution."

Reply/Quote
https://www.startribune.com/charges-boogaloo-bois-fired-on-mpls-precinct-shouted-justice-for-floyd/572843802/

Quote:Charges: Boogaloo Bois fired on Minneapolis police precinct, shouted 'Justice for Floyd'
Feds say Ivan Harrison Hunter helped burn and loot the Third Precinct building as part of a coordinated attack from the far-right group trying to ignite an American civil war. 
By Andy Mannix Star Tribune

OCTOBER 23, 2020 — 4:16PM

In the wake of protests following the May 25 killing of George Floyd, a member of the “Boogaloo Bois” opened fire on Minneapolis Police Third Precinct with an AK-47-style gun and screamed “Justice for Floyd” as he ran away, according to a federal complaint made public Friday.
A sworn affidavit by the FBI underlying the complaint reveals new details about a far-right anti-government group’s coordinated role in the violence that roiled through civil unrest over Floyd’s death while in police custody.

Ivan Harrison Hunter, a 26-year-old from Boerne, Texas, is charged with one count of interstate travel to incite a riot for his alleged role in ramping up violence during the protests in Minneapolis on May 27 and 28. According to charges, Hunter, wearing a skull mask and tactical gear, shot 13 rounds at the south Minneapolis police headquarters while people were inside. He also looted and helped set the building ablaze, according to the complaint, which was filed Monday under seal.

Unrest flared throughout Minneapolis following Floyd’s death, which was captured on a bystander’s cellphone video, causing Gov. Tim Walz to activate the Minnesota National Guard. As police clashed with protesters, Hunter and other members of the Boogaloo Bois discussed in private Facebook messages their plans to travel to Minneapolis and rally at the Cub Foods across from the third precinct, according to federal court documents. One of the people Hunter coordinated with posted publicly to social media: “Lock and load boys. Boog flags are in the air, and the national network is going off,” the complaint states.
Two hours after the police precinct was set on fire, Hunter texted with another Boogaloo member in California, a man named Steven Carrillo.
“Go for police buildings,” Hunter told Carrillo, according to charging documents.
[Image: ows_9f61942e-ce36-405a-841b-f71ef81b597e...=1&w=262.5]

Benjamin Ryan Teeter, left, a North Carolina resident charged with conspiracy to provide aid to a foreign terrorist organization, is pictured with Ivan Harrison Hunter, a Texas resident who was charged Oct. 19 in a federal criminal complaint with interstate travel to incidte a riot. The complaint alleges that he fired several shots into the Minneapolis Police Third Precinct building. This photo was included with the sworn affidavit, filed by the FBI, that serves as the basis for the complaint.r

“I did better lol,” he replied. A few hours earlier, Carrillo had killed a Federal Protective Services Officer in Oakland, Calif., according to criminal charges filed against him in California.

On June 1, Hunter asked Carrillo for money, explaining he needed to “be in the woods for a bit,” and Carrillo sent him $200 via a cash app.

Five days later, Carrillo shot and killed a sheriff’s deputy in Santa Cruz when authorities tried to arrest him, according to charges filed in California. Authorities say he then stole a car and wrote “Boog” on the hood “in what appeared to be his own blood.”

Brags on social media
A couple of days later, during police protests Austin, Texas, police pulled over a truck after seeing three men in tactical gear and carrying guns drive away in it. Hunter, in the front passenger seat, wore six loaded banana magazines for an AK-47-style assault rifle on his tactical vest, according federal authorities. 

The two other men had AR-15 magazines affixed to their vests. The officers found an AK-47-style rifle and two AR-15 rifles on the rear seat of the vehicle, a pistol next to the driver’s seat and another pistol in the center console.

Hunter denied he owned any of the weapons found in the vehicle. He did, according to the complaint, volunteer he was the leader of the Boogaloo Bois in South Texas and that he was present in Minneapolis when the Third Precinct was set on fire. Police seized the guns and let Hunter and the others go.

Hunter had bragged about his role in the Minneapolis riots on Facebook, publicly proclaiming, “I helped the community burn down that police station” and “I didn’t’ protest peacefully Dude ... Want something to change? Start risking felonies for what is good.”

“The BLM protesters in Minneapolis loved me [sic] fireteam and I,” he wrote on June 11. According to the complaint, “fire team” is a reference to a group he started with Carrillo “that responds with violence if the police try to take their guns away.”

“Hunter also referred to himself as a ‘terrorist,’ ” the complaint states.

A confidential informant told police that Hunter planned to “go down shooting” if authorities closed in. He didn’t. They arrested him without incident in San Antonio, Texas this week and he made his first court appearance Thursday.

Hunter is the third member of the Boogaloo Bois, a loose-knit group intent on igniting a second American civil war, to be charged in Minneapolis as a result of the unrest that followed Floyd’s death.

Michael Robert Solomon and Benjamin Ryan Teeter were indicted in September with conspiracy to provide material support for a foreign terrorist organization.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2020, 07:26 PM)GMDino Wrote: https://www.startribune.com/charges-boogaloo-bois-fired-on-mpls-precinct-shouted-justice-for-floyd/572843802/

You do know that Boogaloo is not a strictly far right term and is also used by far left people with the same aspirations, to start a second civil war.  Does the evidence point one way or another for these two?  From what the profess in that article they seem rather left leaning to me.  But I suppose Boogaloo is a loose knit group, but antifa is just an idea.  Loving that consistency.

Just a question, there's violence committed by antifa on a daily basis, how come you never post any of those stories?  I'm just curious.
Reply/Quote
Looks like the peaceful protests have spread to Philadelphia:

https://nypost.com/2020/10/27/30-philadelphia-cops-injured-in-riots-over-police-shooting/

Quote:At least 30 Philadelphia cops were injured by early Tuesday as violent mobs torched squad cars and charged lines of officers in a night of carnage sparked by the police shooting of a knife-wielding man.

Organized protests gathered at a park chanting “black lives matter” soon after news broke of the 4 p.m. death of 27-year-old Walter Wallace, who was shot by police after refusing to drop a knife.

Hundreds of people then swamped the streets, leading to at least 33 arrests by the early hours Tuesday on charges including rioting, assault on police officers, looting and possession of firearms, ABC News said.

The carnage was caught in a series of disturbing videos on social media, including a speeding black truck that ran through a line of officers, hitting a 56-year-old female sergeant.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-27-2020, 09:47 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Looks like the peaceful protests have spread to Philadelphia:

https://nypost.com/2020/10/27/30-philadelphia-cops-injured-in-riots-over-police-shooting/

Tired of this BS.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2020, 09:47 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Looks like the peaceful protests have spread to Philadelphia:

People need to stop protesting incidents like this, because this one, at least based on the information right now, was 100% justified.

Also, for the whole "why didn't they taze him?" crowd:

"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2020, 09:57 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: People need to stop protesting incidents like this, because this one, at least based on the information right now, was 100% justified.

Also, for the whole "why didn't they taze him?" crowd:

The blame for this is squarely on everyone in the media and on the left who don't outright condemn these riots when the shooting was justified.  They both helped create an atmosphere in which all shootings by law enforcement are a racist murder and this is the consequence of that.
Reply/Quote

Yep, I saw a video of some folks peacefully looting a Wig Shop.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2020, 01:45 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yep, I saw a video of some folks peacefully looting a Wig Shop.

Maybe it was "reparations" like the looting in Chicago?  Whatever
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2020, 01:34 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: The blame for this is squarely on everyone in the media and on the left who don't outright condemn these riots when the shooting was justified.  They both helped create an atmosphere in which all shootings by law enforcement are a racist murder and this is the consequence of that.

The blame for this is squarely on police who lie to protect murdering police and claim shootings are justified like in the case of Laquan Treadwell and many others.

They create an atmosphere in which shootings by law enforcement are murder and covered up by other lying police.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2020, 02:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The blame for this is squarely on police who lie to protect murdering police and claim shootings are justified like in the case of Laquan Treadwell and many others.

They create an atmosphere in which shootings by law enforcement are murder and covered up by other lying police.

This is your opinion, to be sure.  Unfortunately, it rather flies in the face of logic.  This, and other shootings in which video evidence showed the shooting was completely justified are not explained away by your assertion.  You cannot logically justify this type of reaction to a clearly justified shooting by saying previous shootings have been covered up.  They have nothing to do with one another other than the fact that a LEO was the shooter.  

No, you get this type of reaction when the media and many Democratic politicians take the position that law enforcement is inherently corrupt, motivated by racism and look to murder anyone who isn't white.  I can understand you not wanting to believe this as it would implicate you as well, but your stated position is merely another indicator that I am correct.  Again, you're making my point for me.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2020, 07:51 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: You do know that Boogaloo is not a strictly far right term and is also used by far left people with the same aspirations, to start a second civil war.  Does the evidence point one way or another for these two?  From what the profess in that article they seem rather left leaning to me. 

What about them seems "left-leaning" to you?

Their main issues seem to be gun rights as part of an Originalism interpretation of the Constitution.  Their beliefs are libertarian and they are strongly anti-government.  Everything about their beliefs seem as far right as you can get.  Even the ones who trend toward anarchist are right-wing anarcho-capitalists instead of left-wing anarchists.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2020, 03:04 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: This is your opinion, to be sure.  Unfortunately, it rather flies in the face of logic.  This, and other shootings in which video evidence showed the shooting was completely justified are not explained away by your assertion.  You cannot logically justify this type of reaction to a clearly justified shooting by saying previous shootings have been covered up.  They have nothing to do with one another other than the fact that a LEO was the shooter.  

No, you get this type of reaction when the media and many Democratic politicians take the position that law enforcement is inherently corrupt, motivated by racism and look to murder anyone who isn't white.  I can understand you not wanting to believe this as it would implicate you as well, but your stated position is merely another indicator that I am correct.  Again, you're making my point for me.

Force was justified, but many people will question why he was not tazed instead of shot to death.

White people can't understand the perception of minorities because white people have not lived their lives under the threat of racist profiling by the police.  When police are viewed as "unjust" because they have discriminated against people based on their race then minorities are always going to question their motives in situations where white people would not.

Would these police have tazed a white man instead of shooting him to death.  I don't know.  But I can see why minorities suspect that they would not have.  They know that police treat minorities differently than white people based on their race.  And that perception was not created by the media.  It was created by the actions of law enforcement over the years.
Reply/Quote