Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Things that will help the GOP before 2022 elections.
(03-24-2021, 07:52 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Well, the Garand is just a WWII-era assault rifle, anyway. I call my Winchester '94 an assault rifle because that's what it was designed for, cavalry assaults. Ninja

Both adequately demonstrating why the term is a completely useless one only used to stoke fear in people.

Quote:Background checks are a thing, but there are lots of places (like Virginia) where private-party transfers occur and do not require an FFL or any sort of background check to be performed. No check, no record, completely under the table. Those are the transfers that some groups are trying to make sure are eliminated by requiring background checks for all transfers.

Yes, I know.  Unfortunately, even starting to enforce such a rule would require a complete gun registry, which is currently illegal.  Without a registry the compliance rate for this requirement would be close to zero.

Quote:As for the waiting period, when I was doing research on gun control policies for a memo I did a bit of a meta analysis in which different methods were compared from different studies and what not. The most effective, in fact the only conclusively effective policy in reducing firearm deaths was a waiting period. It had a very significant correlation to a reduction in suicides and lesser so with homicides. It was the only policy that I recommended implementation of in addition to funding research and investigating another policy option (permit-to-purchase, which has some evidence for but lacked as much of a solid evidentiary background).

Hence my, for the most part, support of them.  Thank you for the empirical reinforcement.  I will say I would like an application to be exempt from the waiting period based on number and type of firearms owned.  The last firearm I purchased was a CZ Redhead Premier, last Christmas.  It is annoying that I had to wait ten days to pick it up considering the amount, and type of other firearms I already own.  Of course getting an exemption for this would also require a registry, which I oppose.  I also realize, at the end of the day, the ten day waiting period isn't a huge deal and really only annoys me as we now live in world of near instant gratification.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Things that will help the GOP before 2022 elections. - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 03-24-2021, 08:07 PM