Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
OL hits and sacks - Joe Goodberry
(04-13-2021, 05:50 PM)bengals67 Wrote: Watching the games last year and reviewing these stats, two questions:

1. How in the world do they pass on Sewell? ( Or the northwestern kid if for some reason good scouting shows him to be better)

2. Why haven't they spent more money on o-line free agents? That is truly mystifying to me.

Fixing the line to help establish a running game and better protect Burrow has to be the top priority of this draft

It is going to take at least two more drafts and two good free agent seasons for this team to be a true contender.

Right now, they must address the o line before anything else.

1) The argument for that is - the OL class is really deep.

2) The tried on Thuney and KC offered more, while they did that Zeitler was offered more by Baltimore and other players were signed quickly. By the time Weds rolled around the contracts were able to be signed all the top OL targets were gone. All that was left was guys coming off bad-seasons, or guys who were coming off injury. I really think the Bengals believed that they had all this cap space and a lot of other teams were in cap trouble so they assumed it would be easier to sign guys. Meanwhile teams that want to win (KC, Balt, LAC, Tampa) all found ways to manipulate the contracts to take tiny cap hits this year and back load the contracts into future years with much larger cap numbers.

In essence... the Bengals were once again out played on a front office level. This is why I've been rather bullish in my stance on the draft needs. The FA market for top OL will always be one of the top markets along with QBs (on the rare times a top one is available), edge rushers and then OL. The RB, LB, TE, WR, and even CB market is less competitive then QB, EDGE and OL.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: OL hits and sacks - Joe Goodberry - Murdock2420 - 04-13-2021, 05:59 PM