Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High school locker rooms and transgender
(11-07-2015, 09:45 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/11/07/speech-and-harm/?_r=0

In case you wanted to read more on the reappropriation of slurs and how that can be one of the most effective tools we have to destroy the power of a slur. 

I get all that, but it's the saying "one group can, but one can't" thing I hate. 
It essentially just reinforces the word. 

Because you have the one can-one can't thing going, you essentially just lay a trap for people to get called bigoted or racist. 

I had this problem in college. At a house party "Changes" came on and everyone was going on with it. I know every word of it, I said every word of it. A few people were "OMG He said that!" My buddy (then co-chair of the college Democrats) told them grow the **** up and move on, luckily he is also black. 

Innocuous use of the words are deemed bad if you aren't a certain race or lifestyle. That leaves the negative connotation there and glaring. If you truly want to "reappropriate" the words, just open the use of them. So when the actual bigots and racists use them you can laugh at them instead of getting mad. 

Messages In This Thread
RE: High school locker rooms and transgender - RoyleRedlegs - 11-07-2015, 03:03 PM