Thread Rating:
  • 18 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average
Political Comics, Memes, Jokes, etc.
(11-07-2015, 08:53 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: The fact you even got involved into whether Cubans are white is pretty funny.   Matt was being cheeky with his census post .... You are just being over the top.  

Make sure you tell the next Cuban you run into that they aren't really a people.   Like I said I have yet to run into one that claims themselves to be white.    But please make 10 other posts with graphs trying to make a point that no one cares about.    

My initial post was cheeky as well.  Since you all call everything racist or some other form of -ist

I guess you can't take a joke .  Which is funny that you put this much effort into me having a laugh with Sunset.

https://books.google.com/books?id=2a6Sq2K4AYUC&pg=PA171&lpg=PA171&dq=cubans+who+identify+as+white&source=bl&ots=kqU2CGZHFx&sig=cpYJBCe4T3UhJljUA7oWKdVxmHY&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CDUQ6AEwA2oVChMIhfT7uMH_yAIVhSYeCh10YwdF#v=onepage&q=cubans%20who%20identify%20as%20white&f=false

[Image: 110715.jpg]

Quote:Is there such a thing as a ‘white’ Cuban?

April 16, 2012 by Alberto de la Cruz

In a follow up to a post below, a new paper in PLoS Genetics has some data on American Hispanics. Specifically, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Mexicans, and Cubans, as well as assorted Central and South Americans. I am not too interested in the cases except Cubans; no one doubts the mixed heritage of the other groups, though the African ancestry of Mexicans, and some Central and South Americans may surprise (again, I have to note that this not surprising in light of history, and has been robustly confirmed in the genomic literature).

But Cuban Americans are somewhat a special case. The vast majority, specifically, 85 percent, identify as white. This is a higher proportion than the number of self-identified whites in Cuba, and a function of the skewed nature of the migration out of Cuba socially and economically. By and large the white elite of the island fled Castro’s revolution to a far greater extent than the black lower classes. And contrary to American stereotypes of Latin American ease and openness about race, Cuba was a relatively stratified society, albeit [i]notcharacterized by hypodescent. Slavery was not abolished on the island until 1884. Additionally, Cuba did experience a relatively large wave of Spanish immigration in the early 20th century. I have taken the claims of “pure Spanish ancestry” on face value in the past because of this history. But further genomic evidence makes me reconsider the biases in the reporting of ancestry. For example, I have heard singer Gloria Estefan mention that her heritage was of recent Spanish immigrants from Cuba, but Wikipedia indicates that this is the origin of her maternal lineage. It leaves her paternal lineage unaccounted for. I have no doubt that her father’s family were white Cubans, but if their roots on the island were somewhat deep, I am also sure that they had non-trivial African, and possibly Amerindian, ancestry.[/i]

Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Political Comics, Memes, Jokes, etc. - GMDino - 11-07-2015, 08:59 PM
Polish terrorist attack - StLucieBengal - 04-17-2018, 01:59 AM
RE: Polish terrorist attack - GMDino - 04-17-2018, 09:05 AM