Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jesse Bates Was Just On NFL Network
(02-23-2022, 09:33 PM)Au165 Wrote: The franchise tag for safeties has yielded bad results for the players lately. Anthony Harris and Marcus Maye both essentially lost out on massive money because of the tag year, and to abates point most players get one crack at the massive pay day off their rookie deal and risking it on a one year deal is tough.

I guess the flip side of the coin is Justin Simmons became the highest paid S in the league after being tagged twice, but it works out differently for everyone. 

If Bates had played last year like he did in '20, I'd have no problem paying him top 5 S money on a long term deal.  Unfortunately, he mailed it in during the regular season and created serious doubt that he can consistently play at a level that will justify the pay he wants.  

I would personally not FT him.  If you couldn't work out a long term deal last year and can't work one out this year, you probably won't work one out next year, either.  May as well find his replacement now instead of tying up $13 mil in cap space on a one year rental.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Jesse Bates Was Just On NFL Network - Whatever - 02-24-2022, 01:49 AM