Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3.43 Average
Why the **** is Jessie Bates not signed yet?
(05-19-2022, 12:06 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I thought that was the case too.
The fines are only if you sign but still don't show up.

I know that if a player signs a franchise tag, teams have until July 15 deadline to sign the player to a long-term extension.
However, I'm not sure what the deadline is for Bates to sign the tag before he would become a FA.

If for some reason Bates doesn't play with the Bengals this year, the Bengals should repurpose (some of) that cap toward other upgrades on the team.

I'd 100% look to add at least one versatile veteran to the OL for depth. Just someone $4 mill or less.
Bengals can (and should) do this without needing Bates' tag $$, but they'd definitely have more room with the extra $12.9 mill to work with.

Per league rules, a player has to be on a list that entitles him to full pay for 6 games in order to accrue a season.  Hypothetically speaking, Bates would only have to sign before the 12th game in order count this season and force the Bengals to burn one of their two FT years they can use on him.  

I think there's a very real possibility he sits out the season, though.  Reason being, he's stated he won't be there for OTA's or TC, which means the Bengals will be forced to prepare Hill to start in his place.  If he signs before the season starts, it's going to take him a few weeks to get back in football shape, especially if he's taking it easy during the off-season to avoid injury.  If Dax balls out, Bates may very well find himself in a reduced or even backup role, which would hurt his next contract a lot more than sitting out the season would.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why the **** is Jessie Bates not signed yet? - IcoHolic - 04-29-2022, 04:16 PM
RE: Why the **** is Jessie Bates not signed yet? - Whatever - 05-19-2022, 12:42 PM