Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Biden overstepped his authority and SC stopped loan forgiveness
(07-03-2023, 11:22 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: To the bolded, I think that is ultimately where you and I are going to find common ground. My ultimate goal would be to have free college, but I think that is a bit of a "pie in the sky" type thing right now. More affordable access is still absolutely a win and not only benefits individuals, but the country. You can say that you vehemently disagree with loan relief and I can completely understand. I think there are reasonable arguments for that position. Making the payments easier is a pretty reasonable alternative that I think the vast majority of people would be on board with. We aren't relieving people of debt, but easing the burden of the payments so they are able to use the money they have for housing/transportation/food etc. 

As far as a solution to making colleges cheaper? That I don't know. Higher education is mostly/completely socialized in Europe. That is a tough sell to people in the U.S. right now but that is the model that people tend to look at when it comes to a discussion like this. 

I agree with your whole first paragraph.  I have no issue with some easing to help people as long as they are still obligated to repay the amount they signed on the line for and the taxpayers are not on the hook for the easing.  The only thing that makes it feel a little wrong to me is the targeting of a specific loan to a specific group of people.  Easing the burden of any loan payment of any kind for everybody helps everybody, not just a select few.

I don't know enough or hardly anything about socialized education, so I can't really have an intelligent conversation with you.  That's on me.  lol.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Biden overstepped his authority and SC stopped loan forgiveness - Mickeypoo - 07-03-2023, 11:53 AM