Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
House Speaker Ongoing Melodrama
(10-25-2023, 10:53 AM)GMDino Wrote: From what I have read it's not a majority that support them other than they get *some* protection from them, but rather they have no choice.  

It's like asking why did the Iraqis not rise up against Saddam, of the Russians against Putin.  Leaders that choose to lead by violence and oppression don't NEED support.  They rely on fear.

The Hamas attack was horrific.  Israel retaliating and killing more civilians and babies doesn't make anything any better.  

I don't know what the answer is to ending these wars but I am with you that I don't want anyone to die.

Well, the majority in Gaza do support Hamas according to polling. However, we need to be careful with that. Hamas does rule by fear and violence, so that support can be artificial. In addition, you have a population of people that have been treated by Israel how we treated the Native Americans in this country. They have had their land taken, put into an essential reservation with guarantees that have been broken time and again. That is going to breed animosity against Israel among the population which Hamas helps stoke.

On top of that, Netanyahu has helped Hamas grow. He elevated the role of Hamas intentionally instead of the more moderate Palestinian Authority. Why? He doesn't want the two-state solution and by allowing Hamas to grow more powerful he sought the justification for Israel to take over all of the territory because he knew Hamas would do what Hamas is doing now.

So the problem is that Hamas has support simply because they are what the people of Gaza know and Hamas and Israel have sincerely worked in tandem to create a perfect storm of support for Hamas in opposition to Israel.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
House Speaker Ongoing Melodrama - pally - 10-03-2023, 12:35 PM
House Speaker Ongoing Melodrama - pally - 10-20-2023, 01:10 PM
RE: House Speaker Ongoing Melodrama - CJD - 10-20-2023, 01:42 PM
RE: House Speaker Ongoing Melodrama - CJD - 10-25-2023, 06:18 PM
RE: House Speaker Ongoing Melodrama - Belsnickel - 10-25-2023, 11:44 AM