Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Let's talk about income inequality
(06-10-2015, 02:20 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Beaker, you seem to be a lot smarter than sunset.

Do you believe that there are enough well paying jobs for every person in the country to have one.  And I mean a job that pays enough to live on and purchase health insurance[Image: arrow-10x10.png].

Do you really believe there are millions of unfilled positions[Image: arrow-10x10.png] just waiting for people to work hard enough to fill them?  If that is true then why are so many people unable to find these jobs?

I don't believe there are ever enough jobs. If there were, we would not have any unemployment. The hitch is what you call well paying. It is my belief that more (not all) people could have jobs, yet some refuse to work at jobs they feel are below them. I think we will never have 100% employment due to things like mental illness, and yes, even motivation. But the job market has evolved, and there has been a fundamental refusal by many to evolve with it.

Now all that said Fred, if you want to pick out something in this post to confront, here it is. I believe it doesn't start with government, but at home. I believe parents need to truly believein the value of an education, and that has to be instilled in children through their parents. I have first hand experience with too many parents who don't really care. Too many parents who see no value in a well rounded education/curriculum. Comments like "my child doesn't need to take science, she's never going to be a scientist anyway" are short sighted. Having a well rounded education allows students to have the skills necessary to choose whatever field they wish to go into. But more importantly, it allows them to CHANGE fields later when they discover they don't like what they do.

Gone are the days of a 30 year job at the factory. In fact, the majority of people will hold multiple jobs throughout their lives. It is more common now for retirees to have held a series of different jobs at say 7-10 year stretches than it is to find someone who worked at the same place their entire career. So it goes back to having acquired multiple skill sets as you grew up. The apathy for education by parents and students today is astounding.

Notice in this whole post I have not blamed laziness. I think people say they want to work, but like I said, what they want to do, and what they are willing (or qualified) to do are often two different things. I think that is the fundamental gap in keeping more people employed in the modern work world.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Let's talk about income inequality - Beaker - 06-10-2015, 09:07 AM