Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread***
(03-14-2024, 08:54 PM)jj22 Wrote: Have we done enough to warrant drafting Bowers at 18 if he fell. That I don’t know with it meaning pushing OT and DT needs to day two….

That would have made this FA a success.

Have we lost that luxury?

I think we have lost that luxury. And I hope I'm wrong. I love what we've done with the secondary. There are a lot of options now for a DB savant like Lou. Moss for Mixon is tomayto tomahto. Re-upping Sample and signing Gesicki for pennies on the dollar was a coup, but that's not the reason why I think we've lost the luxury to take Bowers. I just think we've backed ourselves into a corner where we absolutely need a RT1. We misplayed our hand there, particularly if we sign Becton. I've been listening to Jets fans cry about him for four years- even when he was playing "well" as per PFF- and their line is as notoriously bad as ours. If Reiff, La'el and Jonah couldn't get the job done, then Mekhi Becton couldn't possibly be the guy either.  

And I absolutely love love love Bowers. So it's painful to admit. But if we're sitting there at 18 staring at Bowers / Fautanu / Byron Murphy II / Quinton and a glut of second-tier receivers, I think it's Fautanu by default- and he'd be way down my board otherwise.

As for a 1-tech to spell Reader, I think it's moot. I don't see anyone with a Round 1 grade. It's just not a NT-laden draft. There's no telling if they could evolve into that eventually (e.g., Johnny Newton) but even if they do, they're not ready to do it next year for a Super Bowl-winning team like ours.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2024 NFL Free Agency Thread - phil413 - 03-11-2024, 01:20 PM
RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - IcoHolic - 03-13-2024, 04:14 AM
RE: ***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread*** - tms - 03-15-2024, 12:37 AM