Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
US military commander in Iraq and Syria rejects GOP pledges to 'carpet-bomb' Isis
(02-02-2016, 01:17 PM)michaelsean Wrote: That's a pretty tough one to win isn't it?  The refusing illegal or immoral orders I mean.

There will be a courts martial.  You'll have your day in court like any other defendant.  So you better be damn sure it is illegal or immoral and you better have a good lawyer because the odds will be stacked against you.  Disobeying an illegal/immoral order involves risk.  Obeying an order to clear an objective involves risk.  Risk is part of the job.

Regardless of the risks, if you think the order is illegal or immoral, it is your duty.  A legal and moral obligation.  I can't stress that enough.  You do your best to do the right thing at all times because it is the right thing to do despite the risks.  

I was in the Army so I can only speak for my Army experience. Part of every Army leader's responsibilities is to instill the Army values in the next generation of leaders. Everything I have written on this topic, I learned from leaders. I, in turn, taught those lessons to my soldiers. In conjunction with values, you receive lessons in the law of war. In addition to being a trigger puller, soldiers are also ambassadors. You don't want to dishonor or embarrass yourself or your country by commiting a war crime. And as a leader it's your responsibility to ensure your subordinates aren't commiting war crimes and you aren't giving illegal orders.

I find it hilarious a few jokers around here want to tell me I root against America or it is too bad I came back from a deployment when they don't have the balls to do what I did. Ninjas, please.

Messages In This Thread
RE: US military commander in Iraq and Syria rejects GOP pledges to 'carpet-bomb' Isis - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 02-02-2016, 02:19 PM