Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transgender Bathroom/Locker Room Question
(04-25-2016, 06:45 PM)bfine32 Wrote: If I identify as African American, should I have access to the additional Educational benefits afforded the community and if not, aren't you discriminating against me based on my race?

This is a very complicated question.  I'll try to make my answer as brief as possible. 

The educational benefits afforded African Americans is above and beyond what is afforded to white people.  That is different from just asking to be treated equally.  The benefits accorded to African Americans are intended to level the playing field for an entire race of people, whereas the issue of transgenders being allowed to use the restroom of choice is about an individual right.

On the other hand if a white person who identified as a black person was denied a job based on race then I think that person would have a case for damages based on discrimination.

The difference is between "individual rights to be treated equally" and "special benefits for a specific class".  I don't think a white person identifying as a black person should be entitled to special benefits, but at the same time that person should be protected against discrimination based on race.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Transgender Bathroom/Locker Room Question - fredtoast - 04-25-2016, 07:02 PM