Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oklahoma Legislature passes bill criminalizing abortion
(05-22-2016, 10:36 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: You know I get the original angle you were coming from: laws like these are how pro-life proponents have to challenge Roe v Wade, a decision they find to be immoral and wrong. I get it. 

Likewise, I get the other argument: this is a matter of individual choice. As such, when the will of majority is forced on the minority at the costs of their rights, it's in direct violation to a principle of our Constitution: majority rule with minority rights. So while the majority will rule in a democracy, a democracy such as ours that respects the rights of the minority must then act when we have legislation that tries to take those rights away. When the majority votes in November, no rights will be inherently taken away.

Is pot the same as abortions? No. Does legalizing both mean giving citizens the freedom of choice and ownership of their bodies? Yes.

And Rights is what it all comes down to. If the majority of Oklahomans feel that destroying a healthy fetus is not a right; then the minority cannot over-rule by saying Yes it is. 

If SCOTUS repealed Roe v. Wade tomorrow, no one's rights would be taken away; however, a healthy fetus would now have the right to live. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Oklahoma Legislature passes bill criminalizing abortion - bfine32 - 05-22-2016, 10:43 AM