Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DAYS AFTER ORLANDO ATTACK, HOUSE G.O.P. BLOCKS VOTE ON GAY-RIGHTS AMENDMENT
(06-16-2016, 10:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote: OK, just thought you may know of some since you brought it up. I'll look.

I recall a peer-reviewed article upon putting "black sounding names" on identical resumes in my Social Psychology Master's class at Hofstra in 2004.  A quick search located a number of peer-reviewed studies on this that have taken place since then, as well.  Additionally, there have been similar studies performed in other countries, as well.

Here is a quickie academic look with some admitted flaws:  http://www.nber.org/digest/sep03/w9873.html

And here is the info on a more in-depth study.  I can possibly attach the full-text pdf acquired through my university's online library if you're dying to read it but here is the abstract and info for starters (NOPE, the pdf is too big to attach here).

Racial Discrimination in the Labor Market for Recent College Graduates: Evidence from a Field Experiment.

Authors:
Nunley, John M.1 jnunley@uwlax.edu
Pugh, Adam2 adam.pugh@cunamutual.com
Romero, Nicholas3 romeron@sas.upenn.edu
Seals, R. Alan4 alan.seals@auburn.edu

Source:
B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy. Jul2015, Vol. 15 Issue 3, p1093-1125. 33p. 1 Diagram, 9 Charts.

Subject Terms:
*RACE discrimination in employment
*LABOR market
*ECONOMICS -- Field work
COLLEGE graduates
RACE
Author-Supplied Keywords:
correspondence studies
employment
field experiments
productivity
racial discrimination

Abstract:
We present experimental evidence from a correspondence test of racial discrimination in the labor market for recent college graduates. We find strong evidence of differential treatment by race: black applicants receive approximately 14% fewer interview requests than their otherwise identical white counterparts. The racial gap in employment opportunities is larger when comparisons are made between job seekers with credentials that proxy for expected productivity and/or match quality. Moreover, the racial discrimination detected is driven by greater discrimination in jobs that require customer interaction. Various tests for the type of discrimination tend to support taste-based discrimination, but we are unable to rule out risk aversion on the part of employers as a possible explanation. [ABSTRACT FROM AUTHOR]

Copyright of B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy is the property of De Gruyter and its content may not be copied or emailed to multiple sites or posted to a listserv without the copyright holder's express written permission. However, users may print, download, or email articles for individual use. This abstract may be abridged. No warranty is given about the accuracy of the copy. Users should refer to the original published version of the material for the full abstract. (Copyright applies to all Abstracts.)
Author Affiliations:
1Department of Economics, University of Wisconsin - La Crosse, La Crosse, WI 54601, USA
2CUNA Mutual Group, Madison, WI 53705, USA
3Nicholas Romero, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
4Department of Economics, Auburn University, Auburn, AL 36849-5049, USA
ISSN:
1935-1682
DOI:
10.1515/bejeap-2014-0082
Accession Number:
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: DAYS AFTER ORLANDO ATTACK, HOUSE G.O.P. BLOCKS VOTE ON GAY-RIGHTS AMENDMENT - Nately120 - 06-16-2016, 10:23 PM