Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Swiss deny citizenship to Muslim girls who balked at swimming with boys
(07-05-2016, 04:35 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I agree but then then the problem comes in with freedom of religion.

I'm not exactly arguing, but it's a little different.

Freedom of religion allows you to practice your beliefs, but it doesn't (in most cases) give you a free pass on stuff you don't like to do. Even if your reason for not doing it is religious based.

Most religious people could argue they don't have to pay state or federal taxes if they tithe, but that wouldn't get them out of April. Paying taxes is covered by numerous laws. But that's different than opting not to say the pledge of allegiance because of a religious belief, since saying the pledge is not required by law or statute.

In this case, a physical fitness requirement wasn't met. I don't know a lot about their legal or education systems, but it's not really that much different than a school here flunking someone because they're Baptist and decided they didn't have to listen to a female principal. The flunked student would still be flunked.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Swiss deny citizenship to Muslim girls who balked at swimming with boys - Benton - 07-05-2016, 04:53 PM