Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Rudy G. Says ‘BLM’ Is ‘Inherently Racist’
(07-13-2016, 10:44 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Yup. If you look at Asian or Latino/Hispanic communities, they group based on nationality. Same for white people (to a lesser extent in America now, but some still do), and for black people in recent history that have emigrated. But for the black community that was forcefully taken to places there are very few that have that identity beyond being black. It's interesting to see those that do (there is an Igbo Festival nearby here each year that is pretty awesome) but they are few and far between.

Those who are the children of immigrants from Africa or the islands do this too as they know their ancestral origins, but most kids cannot tell you. When we talked about race in the US in class, we asked kids where their family is from. This is anecdotal, but most white, Asian, or latino kids could tell you the nation their family came from a generation to many generation ago. For the black kids, they focused on which state as their defining origin. 

I show this map. Notice that most people in the South say their ethnicity is "American" where as outside of that, you see Irish, Italian, German, etc. 

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a7/Census-2000-Data-Top-US-Ancestries-by-County.svg/2000px-Census-2000-Data-Top-US-Ancestries-by-County.svg.png

(07-13-2016, 10:51 AM)GMDino Wrote: Oy!  In my family just two generations ago if someone married outside of the Italians it was considered shameful!  

But hey, anything over 50 years is ancient history that should be forgotten because everything is better now.   Mellow

I show this awesome documentary (9500 Liberty) about the immigration debate in Prince Williams  County, Virginia. A woman reads an editorial in the Baltimore Sun from 100 years ago that trashes Italians for living in cramped housing with many people, taking jobs, and not speaking English. The idea of "white" has evolved to include more people as the focus of who to discriminate against has changed. One political cartoon I have from that era has the Italians as rats. My students think they are Mexicans because the caricatures of them are now used for Mexicans. On my Irish great-great grandfather's draft card from WWI, he doesn't have "white" skin, he has "ruddy" skin.  
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Rudy G. Says ‘BLM’ Is ‘Inherently Racist’ - BmorePat87 - 07-13-2016, 11:49 AM