Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colin Kapernick benches self for National Anthem
(08-31-2016, 03:16 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I don't understand the argument that not standing for the national anthem disrespects the military. I've never solely associated it with the military. Same with the flag. Being a resident of the Baltimore area, I know quite a but about the history behind it. I wrote numerous papers on Fort McHenry and even rewrote the history section of their volunteer handbook in college. I get that some people want to associate all aspects of American patriotism to the military, but arguing that anyone who doesn't demonstrate blind patriotism is "insulting the military" is nothing more than a straw man that ignores the subject he wants to shed light on. Maybe that's the goal: to  ignore what he is saying because it isn't a comfortable topic.

My biggest beef is with people who defend Trump and then attack Kaepernick. We've all seen that blonde lady on facebook. Tori or Toni something? She's some loud mouth for The Blaze who always yells about black people and anyone who criticizes Trump. Her stupid ass video finally got on my nerves so I posted this:

People who support a presidential candidate running on the premise that this country isn't great because of minority groups are upset that a black athlete says this country isn't great because of how it treats minority groups.

The former is a major candidate for president while the latter is being told to get out of this country.

The former called POWs "losers" and is said to be supportive of the military while the latter is accused of insulting the military because he won't stand during a song.

The former is praised while he advocates eroding constitutionally protected rights while the latter is is attacked for peacefully exercising his own.

It's one thing to say "I disagree with his assessment of racial injustice in this country" and to cite examples to support what you say. It's another thing to just say "if you don't like it, then get out" while advocating for your own version of change in this country or even to respond with "well crime is a problem in black communities" or something else that ignores their argument. If you're advocating for reducing health care spending by the government, do you want someone to respond "well military spending is a bigger problem?" No, because both are things we can address, you just want to bring light to one.

He's just afflicted....waxing poetically about Castro, and sporting a shirt with his image emblazoned on it hardly screams tolerance, social equality, or much of anything else good to me.  Also, I've yet to see any real action by him....reeks of an attention grab....or some have postulated that he is doing this to ensure he gets his 11 mil.

As for the flag, it has different meanings for different people.  When you have a couple of those "triangles" in a shadow box, it might just mean something more to you. Hell, someone's always worried about offending someone, well....some people are offended by this.  It's really not much more complicated than that.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Colin Kapernick benches self for National Anthem - Wyche'sWarrior - 08-31-2016, 03:52 PM