Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So Rob Portman voted to confirm Betsy DeVos
(02-09-2017, 02:29 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Higher graduation rate

More kids taking advanced courses

More going to college

Higher standards in 40+ states than ever before.
Benton Wrote:I know that's the popular narrative, but probably want to walk that one back. Our schools are more successful now than any time since we started public schools in the US.

Of course we can make stats reflect whatever we desire. I can point to how much we spend on average per student based on the rest of the world and the bang we are getting for our buck. If the two of you want to say the education system has been overall sucessful and the best way to determine who should head the program is to compare his or her resume to his or her predesessors; that's your opinion and who am I to say it is wrong.

I could raise the High School graduation rate, increase our performance results on internal tests, and get more kids enrolled in college overnight; however, this does nothing if the rest of the world is getting smarter around us.

(02-09-2017, 02:29 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: But, can we discuss the qualifications I outlined instead of trying to turn this into "how good are schools?". I was under the impression that this was a discussion about what makes one qualified to be Secretary of Education and does Betsy DeVos meet those qualifications.

That's a list of qualifications for sure; however, to be qualified she must be nominated by the President and approved by the Senate. As to your list: parallels can be drawn to anyone with a business background equivalent to DeVos’. Throwing the word education into each sentence; doesn't really change much. For instance; what is the difference between enforcing laws and enforcing education laws? Nothing; it’s just a “trick” we use in business if you what to narrow your hiring scope.

Devos has been lauded for her fight to improve education; especially for the less privileged. I remember when Ben Carson wasn’t qualified because he believed man was created.

So the point is: what makes one an expert at determining the qualifications of a Presidential Cabinent member; especially a department that could benefit from a change agent?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: So Rob Portman voted to confirm Betsy DeVos - bfine32 - 02-09-2017, 05:01 PM