Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So Rob Portman voted to confirm Betsy DeVos
(02-09-2017, 07:09 PM)Benton Wrote: Not exactly. You can omit stats — and facts — to take a position. But there's not two sets of reality, where facts mean one thing here, and another thing there. Stats are stats, and we're graduating more people, our graduation rates are higher, our college participation is higher, more kids are entering college prepared for classes.

Now, why we're doing better, that's subjective. My opinion and yours may vary... but if your starting point is 'schools are doing worse because Betsy said so' then I'm guessing the 'why' is going to be irrelevant to the discussion as it's an erroneous origin.

I'm not following, I guess. I went to public school, so bear with me there. I would say that improving graduation rates, performance and college readiness is a step toward us getting smarter. I don't see how having fewer graduates, lower test scores and fewer continuing to post secondary is going to make us more competitive globally.
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2013/12/03/248329823/u-s-high-school-students-slide-in-math-reading-science

We are slipping globally. Now why we're doing worse, that's  subjective. My opinion and yours may vary... but if your starting point is we are doing better globally because more folks are going to college then I'm guessing the 'why' is going to be irrelevant to the discussion as it's an erroneous origin.

You can omit stats — and facts — to take a position. But there's not two sets of reality, where facts mean one thing here, and another thing there. Stats are stats, and we're slipping globally.

The home schooled kid always graduates top of his class
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: So Rob Portman voted to confirm Betsy DeVos - bfine32 - 02-09-2017, 07:17 PM