Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So Rob Portman voted to confirm Betsy DeVos
(02-09-2017, 09:29 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I would think there is a cycle to it.  The high paying jobs once required college degrees and people saw getting that as a means to movin' on up.  Now the market is flooded with BAs and people who know trades are the smart ones because they are getting higher-paying jobs because everyone with an IQ over 30 become "college material" which leaves less supply and more demand for tradesmen.

Once people start thinking it's insane to spend 4 years and $100k to get a lower-paying job there will be a glut of trade school grads and the wages will drop.  Our culture seems to be moving towards the notion that higher education is a big waste of time and/or makes you into a giant wimp ala Leapin' Lanny Poffo, so I'm sure we will be up to our armpits in welders wondering why they all can't make 6-figures.

Hell, when I was in college I was told by many people that I was a total idiot to get an education when selling bad mortgages was the instant ticket to living in a golden mansion.

When I started college in 1987 it was beat into us that you HAD to have a degree to get a good paying job.

By the time I graduated in 1991 they were pushing us all to get our masters to get the good paying jobs.

I opted to go to work in my field instead.

26 years late I am nowhere near my field of study and they job I have had for the last 18 years doesn't require a degree at all.

Life is funny.

I told both our kids that college is NOT a requirement if they would rather get a trade skill instead.

My daughter went to the technical school at her high school and graduated and walked right into a job in her field.

My son wants to go to college for electrical engineering.

It is what you make of it.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.

Messages In This Thread
RE: So Rob Portman voted to confirm Betsy DeVos - GMDino - 02-09-2017, 10:56 PM