Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So Rob Portman voted to confirm Betsy DeVos
(02-09-2017, 09:40 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I didn't say anyone made up stats they desired, I said we can make stats reflect what we desire. Just as they used increased college enrollment as a supporting stat; I retorted with our global stats. 

As listed Devos has professional qualifications to include chairing businesses and working to improve educational opportunities for the disadvantaged.

You can assume you know why other countries are getting smarter; however, there is no canned answer. Many suggest it is our emphasis on sports in the academic environment, while others come up with reasons such as not allowing students to fail (read higher college enrollment)

I think the disconnect is that I have not said Devos will succeed; I've simply said she is qualified to fulfill the post and her diversity could be beneficial; as I have seen it in business models. Others (and now you) have asserted it will not

I do not support a third-world model. I have said we are not getting our bang for the buck and perhaps a new approach is worth a shot and I'm not willing to be so partisan as to shoot it down before it starts.

Sorry to see you end the discussion. Though I disagree with your position, you were making clear and reasonable points.  But that does give me the last word, I guess.

First, you are correct; I misrepresented your statement about "making stats reflect" as opposed to "making up" stats. I'll have to read more carefully next time.  This is doubly my bad since you are that rare Trump defender who takes stats seriously.

Second, I had a question which I suppose will not get answered now, namely I wanted an example of a "change agent" who came from outside a business and, knowing nothing about business, turned it around.

I can think of change agents who, as business professionals, produced disastrous results when brought into universities to downsize or make them efficient.  I cannot think of a single instance where this has worked out well for an organization when the change agent had executive authority.  

Third, another question--what does not allowing students to fail have to do with college enrollment? Did you have a source which made this connection?

Finally, a comment for the rest of the people following this thread. Some of the "cultural differences" which make for better performance in other countries are not necessarily healthy or desirable. I have a Korean acquaintance whose daughters spent 8-hours a day, Saturday and Sunday, in cram courses all the way through high school--rigorous schooling 7 days a week. No sports. No dates. They will perform better on tests than the average American student. I am not sure they are "smarter" though.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: So Rob Portman voted to confirm Betsy DeVos - Dill - 02-10-2017, 01:20 PM