Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Trumps Immigration Executive Order
(02-14-2017, 09:56 AM)GMDino Wrote: But doing that would be admitting he did something wrong and that he lost.  I mean *we* all know he's lost in court many, many times, but he'd never admit to a failure.  He still thinks they are selling Trump Steaks.

I was telling my wife this morning that even though Trump is no stranger to lawsuits, including ones for lots of money, it's still like the difference between college and pros.

(02-14-2017, 10:37 AM)michaelsean Wrote: According to Matt that isn't the case.  The merits of the order itself have not been ruled on.

(02-14-2017, 10:39 AM)GMDino Wrote: The initial stay.

The appeal only ruled on whether the issue could even be reviewed.

We have seen judges make comments that they don't believe the order to be legal, but we haven't seen an official ruling on the actual order itself. We have seen stays/injunctions/restraining orders/etc. that prevent the order from being carried out until there is a ruling on the merits of the order. I think we will likely see the other cases held for Judge Robart's decisions, then the 9th, and then SCOTUS. This, believe, can't be picked up by SCOTUS through original jurisdiction, only through appellate.

Of course, this will all be moot if another EO is issued, which is what I anticipate.

Disclaimer: I have not read every court order, obviously, just some summaries and reports from sources I use for my news that give more raw details. I could have missed something and there was a ruling, but I don't think there has been because of the different language that would be used for that.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trumps Immigration Executive Order - Belsnickel - 02-14-2017, 10:50 AM