Poll: What will Bengals do re: DEs in draft
every down DE in first round
every down DE after first
speed rusher after first
1 and 2
1 and 3
2 and 3
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What will Bengals do re: DE in the draft
(03-20-2017, 11:35 AM)fredtoast Wrote:  That is a great bargain for a player who is still as productive as MJ

A great bargain would be MJ paying the Bengals, and it somehow returned cap space to the Bengals.  MJ is not a great bargain because a lack of a pass rush from the RDE position in a 4-3 defense that stubbornly rarely blitzes for pressure has a negative effect on the performance of the entire defense.  

The bottom line is that when the opposition has gone maximum protection, the Bengals have no answer.  I never see MJ double-teamed but he rarely gets any pressure despite tremendous opportunities.

I don't think the three DEs the Bengals truly covet (Garrett, Thomas, and Barnett) will still be there at #9, so I could see the Bengals going WR in Rd 1, and then getting a more speed-rushing option to partner with MJ on passing downs. 

We know the Bengals rarely if ever terminate contracts early anyways, so I don't see MJ going anywhere.  Pairing him with a speed rusher, instead of a clone (Clarke) makes more sense.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: What will Bengals do re: DE in the draft - SHRacerX - 03-20-2017, 08:21 PM