Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
USDA secretary announces halt on school nutrition standards
(05-07-2017, 04:50 PM)6andcounting Wrote: The first half of the last decade.

And you don't need to be sitting in a high school cafeteria to say that a meal that's 60% carbs and 15% protein in terms of total calories isn't actually contributing to anyone's healthy lifestyle. There's more to nutrition than eating low fat and low sodium.  Those two things are actually essential fuel for your body; simply limiting those things from your diet without understanding what your current intake is and how much you are using any giving day is counterproductive. 

Standing at about 5'9", I weighed 156 pounds last summer eating 200 grams of fat a day and eating salt by the spoonful. That was 4 years after leaving high school weighing about 240 with no muscle or strength.

Different areas, I guess.

I was an education reporter back when all the complaining started. I ate in about 12 west Kentucky cafeterias over a few weeks. And in my fmdaughters every Wednesday. The food wasn't all that bad, or all those carbs. Really the only carbs were usually in the sand which brad or some of the fruits.

Sure, it was halfway bland because they couldn't use salt, but that didn't stop the kids from adding it on their own.

Maybe your school wasn't adhering to federal nutrition guidelines if it was all carbs and salt?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: USDA secretary announces halt on school nutrition standards - Benton - 05-08-2017, 09:38 AM