Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
USDA secretary announces halt on school nutrition standards
(05-08-2017, 01:48 PM)6andcounting Wrote: I wasn't meaning to sound like I was complaining specifically about my old school lunches. It's more so that it's a disservice when kids associate healthy eating with cheap, bland, low quality food that is a $2 school lunch. If kids only knew the taste of pizza from school cafeteria pizza, most kids wouldn't be all that into pizza. However, most kids love pizza because they associate it with pizza you'd get from an actual pizza shop. 

The whole idea behind healthy school lunches is that it's probably the only healthy meal kids are getting that day. That's likely true. But now kids think healthy food is trash because they only know healthy eating from what they get in their school lunches. 

Ah, think I understand a bit better. And I don't disagree, most public school lunches are on the bland side. I guess I try to give them a little slack in the flavor area as they're trying to serve kids a full meal for under $2. My district it's $1.35.

I ate at a private catholic school, totally different. The ham and cheese was toasted, with butter. Prepackaged chips. Brownie. Totally different. Of course, those kids' parents were probably paying a tuition close to what I make in a few months.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: USDA secretary announces halt on school nutrition standards - Benton - 05-08-2017, 07:33 PM