Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
With Ivanka Trump’s Blessing, White House Ditches Equal Pay Rule
(09-04-2017, 10:49 AM)Benton Wrote: In my experience (which granted is limited as I've only supervised two guys), women are less likely to ask for a raise. And it may be illegal to pay someone less based on gender, but two things. First , so is speeding or hiring illegal aliens. Two proving it was based off gender could be difficult. Unless you have an organization that looks to make sure pay is equitable and fair regardless of circumstance. Like.... a union.

Its true women are often not taught skills like negotiating pay and requesting raises. In an earlier job I had, when I was offered the job, I asked if the salary they offered me was the best they could do. They ended up offering me $3000 more before I accepted. I was out on an early job with a guy and a girl from our training cohort when we got our checks. She happened to look at mine and asked why I was getting paid more. I told her it was because I had negotiated for more when they offered. She started to go on a rant about equal pay until the other guy chimed in and showed he was getting paid the same as her. Again, another example of how women can end up making less even though they aren't necessarily paid less since she was getting paid the same as other men who had not negotiated higher pay. I have used that example with my daughter as I teach her how to negotiate.  If you don't teach your children (male or female), they don't usually know those types of things.

Messages In This Thread
RE: With Ivanka Trump’s Blessing, White House Ditches Equal Pay Rule - Beaker - 09-04-2017, 12:03 PM