Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time to break up Google (Alphabet)
(09-29-2017, 03:39 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: $1 out of every $2 spent online goes to Amazon. One company getting 50% of all e-commerce has got to trip some anti-trust law. And now they are getting into the supermarket business.

65% of all web searches go through Google. Alphabet has been buying up companies for years for phones, cars, internet infrastructure, etc.

Not mine. I hate Amazon. I used to use it, but now I can't tell who is selling what. And in three orders with an Amazon certified seller (or whatever they call it), all three ended up with a long-awaited refund because the products either didn't get delivered or weren't what I ordered.

(09-29-2017, 04:01 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: That’s the definition of monopoly, not what the law says. The law applies to companies that are so large they have too much control over market pricing. I provided two links to two instances where Google was using their market share to influence the market.

From the second link:
Quote:The overhaul came after Google was hit by a record antitrust fine of $2.8 billion over the summer for unfairly favoring its own service over those of its rivals. The penalty, in one of the company’s most important markets, highlights the risks facing Google as it looks to protect its dominant position in online search in Europe and other parts of the world.

To me, that's mind boggling.

They have a business, but they're supposed to favor someone else's business because theirs is too successful?

And I guess that's my issue. I don't use Amazon, and I hate Walmart. But I don't fault either one of them for having successful business models. People like them, so people use them. And I don't know how you can call either a monopoly when those two companies are battling each other.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Time to break up Google (Alphabet) - Benton - 09-29-2017, 04:20 PM