Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time to break up Google (Alphabet)
(09-29-2017, 04:46 PM)Au165 Wrote: I don't actually see any of the OP's examples as monopolies. Specifically they haven't attempted predatory practices as defined by the U.S. to meet the litmus test to be regulated as a monopoly. If you look at the Microsoft case from the 90's you will see kind of what goes into reaching a monopoly status in the tech sector. A sector dominated by innovation is tough because innovation in itself can give off a monopolistic feel, but that is why there is more to it than simply having a large market share.

Keep in mind that the EU laws have always been different and do tend to sway more towards breaking things up.

Under US law, I don't think they are, but I think Yojimbo is referring more to EU's interpretation of monopolies.

(09-29-2017, 05:01 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: U.S. laws used to break things up too, until our Supreme Court ruled money equals free speech and all of our government officials started taking legal bribes.

I think Google using their algorithm to decide what’s real news, in their opinion, is a predatory practice. Their algorithm should be as neutral as possible.

They used to break up businesses that absorbed other businesses to prevent competition, or used their position to manipulate markets (which, arguably, Walmart does that). But the EU's approach is more about trying to make businesses be more or less competitive.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Time to break up Google (Alphabet) - Benton - 09-29-2017, 05:29 PM