Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Really Happens When You Use the R-Word
(10-03-2017, 12:12 PM)mallorian69 Wrote: Here is my biggest beef with the piece. It claims that ****** is ALWAYS used as a put down when in fact it isn't. Anyone ever heard the term fire retardant? Is that a put down? I have also read numerous medical and scientific articles that use the words ****** and inhibit interchangeably.

Just because the author doesn't like the word doesn't mean that there are not legitimate uses that are not derogatory. If all it took was a few people to think a particular word was demeaning then we would no longer beable to call people democrats and instead have to call them politically challenged persons.

(10-03-2017, 12:49 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: The author said "commonly used" not "exclusively used".

(10-03-2017, 12:54 PM)mallorian69 Wrote: You were saying?

I've yet to have heard anyone (intentionally or otherwise) call anyone a retardant. It's also apples and oranges to the discussion of whether a term from 20+ years ago — now often used as a derogatory term to belittle someone's mental capacity — is acceptable. If I call you retardant or speak of your ability to ****** fire, I'm not talking about your ability to think.

There is no usage of the term ****** where it is not derogatory, unless you are specifically talking about someone's ability to repel fire.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: What Really Happens When You Use the R-Word - Benton - 10-03-2017, 02:38 PM