Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How the Browns' trade for AJ McCarron fell apart
(11-01-2017, 10:33 AM)Au165 Wrote: This makes absolutely no sense. They got a deal done for more than what you said and your mad at them? They got a deal done and turned their paperwork in without issue before the deadline, this is 100% on the Browns. If the Bengals had time to turn their paperwork in so did the Browns.

Trying to spin this as anything different is simply looking for a reason to be mad.

Well Jim O. states this in his article...
Quote:The day began with the Browns calling the Bengals to initiate talks – discussions the Bengals were reluctant to participate in – resulting in offers and counteroffers.
The long-time price tag of a first-round pick for McCarron had dropped, but at some point during the day the Bengals made it clear there was no more room for negotiation.
About an hour before the deadline, the Browns rejected the final set of terms the Bengals had put forth – McCarron for the two draft picks.
Then, within 20 minutes of the 4 p.m. deadline (there is some dispute over the timestamps reported by ESPN) – Cleveland reversed course.
I guess we will have to agree to disagree then, because I feel the asking price for McCarron was always too high to begin with. It was only in a desperation move by the Browns at the last minute to accept such a deal. If the asking price was just a 2nd rounder (reasonable IMO), the Browns and Bengals would have likely been able to get agreement done with plenty of time left in the day and ensured the paper work was completed properly ahead of schedule. Scrambling at the last second due to desperation can sometimes result in something being missed. In this case, it was.

Don't get me wrong, a 2nd AND 3rd would have been a steal for the Bengals, but at the end of the day the deal didn't get to happen and so I think it does make sense to try and think up ways that it could have been done to ensure a trade went through that wasn't so last-minute.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: How the Browns' trade for AJ McCarron fell apart - ochocincos - 11-01-2017, 10:47 AM