Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FCC plan would give Internet providers power to decide how you use your internet
(11-22-2017, 02:29 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'm torn on this. Part of me says they are private companies they should be able to allow/block any content they see fit and let the private market sort itself.

But part of me realizes that many cable companies are geographic monopolies and consumers often have no choice.

I have no idea how this could be considered partisan.

http://time.com/3741085/net-neutrality-republicans-president/

Older article, but pretty much the consensus thought I've heard put out there.

Obama and Democrats are for it, so knee jerk reaction is for Republicans to be against. Like GOP-care... it was great when it was "their" idea in the 90s, but the end-all evil when Obama dusted it off.

It doesn't appear to be just the money as bribes by telecomm is pretty well split between the two parties, or ideology as this will pretty well hit small 'Main Street' businesses in the nuts. 

Anecdotal, but mine (newspapers) are expecting significant restrictions for our online users. And since 90% of what so many businesses do is internet based (ours included), this is probably going to see rate hikes or production reductions in the future.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: FCC plan would give Internet providers power to decide how you use your internet - Benton - 11-22-2017, 02:50 PM