Joe
73.17%
30 73.17%
Total 41 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Should Mixon get his job back
(12-13-2017, 08:44 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: 1. It doesn't matter if they both suck, or if they're both good. A difference of 0.6 YPC is still a difference, and a not insignificant one. That's the difference between LeSean McCoy and Lamar Miller this year. It's the difference between DeMarco Murray and Doug Martin this year.

If two guys are running in the same offense, behind the same OL, and one is getting .6 more yards per carry, he is likely better.

0.6 is a bigger difference than '10 Patriots RB BJGE and '12 Bengals RB BJGE.

- - - - - - - - - - -

2. My expectations for Gio were a *lesser* McCoy, and it was also a statement based upon the qualification that he was playing for someone like Sean Payton, who understands the value of OL and is a creative offensive mind who knows how to properly utilize pass catching RBs. Not playing for Paul Alexander, Ken Zampese, Ogbuehi, Bodine, etc.

The Bengals' favorite plays for a RB are...
1. Run off right tackle on first down.
2. Do that long wide sweeping running play to the outside that never works, but we try at least 5 times a game.
3. An obvious screen pass that sets the RB up for getting blasted the second the ball touches his hands.

- - - - - - - - - -

3. Gio is an inferior runner to McCoy (hence again why I said lesser) but he's a superior pass catcher. There's no way McCoy is superior. Gio averages 1.7 more yards per reception than McCoy.

- - - - - - - - -

4. TDs? Really Shake? You're going the TDs-route of why a player is better? That's like the people who said Jeremy Hill was a great RB because he had so many TDs.

5. Gio had Hill, who was the ultimate running TD goalline vulture, and Eifert (when healthy) who was the ultimate receiving TD vulture. Plus Green who catches 7-11 TDs/yr.

6. Blount went from 18 rushing TDs last year, to 2 this year.
Calvin Johnson had 5 TDs the year he almost caught 2k yards.
It's not a good measure of if a player is good or not, and you and I both know that.

1. Maybe a comparison will help you understand what I'm saying. Alvin Kamara is averaging a whopping 7.0 YPC this year. Has that stopped the Saints from starting Mark Ingram (5.1 YPC) and giving him the bulk of carries? Nope. Because Mark Ingram is also balling out, and he's their "bell-cow" while Kamara has a different role. If a 0.6 YPC difference is substantial, I can't imagine what you think of 1.9. 

Basically, if both players on the same team are playing extremely well (to varying degrees), you do not swap roles and throw a square peg in a round hole just because the backup has a slightly higher YPC. They're both effective, so if it ain't broke...

2. Man, anyone is going to look better playing for an offensive genius like Payton or Belichick. That'd go for Mixon as well. I still don't think Gio will ever be a 300 carry guy ala McCoy. Let alone a very successful one. There's been literally no evidence to suggest such a thing in 5 years. So we'll just have to disagree on that one. 

3. Gio is barely better as a receiver and far inferior as a runner. He can't handle the workload McCoy can, let alone as effectively.

4. Yes, really. I don't think you're understanding. Sproles isn't some goal-line back. He's not squaring up for chip shots at the 1 yard line at 181 lbs. He gets most of his TD's because he's an electric, explosive player. Gio just hasn't been that guy for us. We've discussed this enough in the past that you should be familiar with Gio's lack of big plays without me having to look it up again. 

Sproles is probably a future HOF'er. He's 8th all-time in all-purpose yardage:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/all_purpose_yds_career.htm

And we're comparing him to Gio? C'mon man. Go ask any non-Bengals fan that question. Gio or Sproles.

5. Gio didn't get goal-line touches because he's never been a better goal-line back than the other guys we've had rostered. And again, do you think Sproles was a goal-line back? Very rarely. He got a lot of TDs by just making plays.

6. See #4. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Should Mixon get his job back - bfine32 - 12-11-2017, 10:45 PM
RE: Should Mixon get his job back - ah5 - 12-11-2017, 11:30 PM
RE: Should Mixon get his job back - Synric - 12-11-2017, 11:02 PM
RE: Should Mixon get his job back - Synric - 12-11-2017, 11:12 PM
RE: Should Mixon get his job back - J24 - 12-12-2017, 12:37 AM
RE: Should Mixon get his job back - Utts - 12-12-2017, 02:10 AM
RE: Should Mixon get his job back - Sled21 - 12-12-2017, 09:26 AM
RE: Should Mixon get his job back - Benton - 12-12-2017, 03:47 PM
RE: Should Mixon get his job back - Au165 - 12-13-2017, 12:44 PM
RE: Should Mixon get his job back - Shake n Blake - 12-14-2017, 02:53 AM