Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Survey Finds 40% Of Colleges Have ZERO GOP Professors
(05-08-2018, 12:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yes I am serious. What type of work experience makes a person a better math teacher?  

Look at all of the great NFL coaches that never played in the NFL.  "Coaching" is a completely different skill from "playing".  You can be great at one and suck at the other.  Same goes with "teaching" a subject as opposed to "using" the subject on a job.

Interestingly (and I learned this in grad school, between lectures on how to convince boys they all have invisible vaginas) people who are average at things make better teachers/trainers/coaches because they draw from a pool of general knowledge and/or rely upon relatable templates to do their jobs.  Experts in the field deviate from the training and the templates and do things their own way.  They find something that works and they do it, they aren't the ones with their training notes and job aides posted all over the place.

This is why the Jordan Palmers and Jim Harbaughs of the world are better coaches than the Mike Singletarys and Brett Favres etc.  

But also, college professors know a bit about a lot of aspects of one discipline.  I'd find it amusing though if my psychology professor had to get an entirely different degree and actually work as a clinical psychiatrist for X amount of years in order to really understand how to teach the stuff.  

Teaching and doing are different things...I don't understand why so many people who don't understand or are hostile towards education have trouble grasping this...oh wait.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Survey Finds 40% Of Colleges Have ZERO GOP Professors - Nately120 - 05-08-2018, 01:17 PM