Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Missouri Voters Overturn Right-To-Work Measure
(08-09-2018, 01:56 PM)Dill Wrote: What if an employer has only two employees, and they agree to form a union. Would that union be a 3rd party? Would one worker who speaks for the two be a 3rd party in that representative role?

Seems to me that all employees already have a certain power to "dictate" rules of employment when they will not work for less than a certain amount. If an employer cannot find bricklayers who will work for 10 dollars an hour, then those potential employees are dictating terms of employment.  

The union just enhances this already existing power of labor, creating benefits that spill over to non union workers as well, like the 40 hr week. Where wages sink so low as to affect a worker's ability to provide food and shelter for him/herself and family, and the worker has only the "right" to quit and accept another equally low paying job with another employer, unions "make sense" to workers.

"Right to work" laws were not designed to enhance employee freedom, but to restrict it by keeping as much control over wages and hiring/firing in the hands of the employer.

2 no. 3 yes.I had my question answered.  Good news!  I'm on your side!
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Missouri Voters Overturn Right-To-Work Measure - michaelsean - 08-09-2018, 02:19 PM