Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SCOTUS orders thrice-divorced KY county clerk to issue marriage license
(09-09-2015, 12:27 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Imagine how your students feel when you are on the clock.

Very fortunate to have someone who is both literate and knowledgeable. 

Your issue is that you are not distinguishing between when I say that they're required to follow the law and when I say I may or may not support them. The fact that I might support someone who violates an unjust law does not detract from the fact that I said they are required follow the law. 

Should Northern states have followed the Fugitive Slave Act? Yes. Do I support the fact that they did not follow it? Yes. That doesn't mean they shouldn't have faced the penalty for failing to uphold the law, it just means I think they did the right thing morally. 

And with regards to this "federal mandate", the Supreme Court never decided whether or not a federal mandate on same sex marriage was constitutional. They decided whether or not the bans were. While you may interpret the decision as a "federal mandate" because it meant that refusal to issue marriage licenses to same sex couples was unconstitutional, they were only deciding whether or not the bans were unconstitutional. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: SCOTUS orders thrice-divorced KY county clerk to issue marriage license - BmorePat87 - 09-09-2015, 08:47 AM