Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What did you "collect" when you were a kid.
(09-22-2018, 01:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Give me a break.  I am certain you had toys before you were old enough to earn money mowing yards.

Kids should have certain chores to earn their allowance, and they should learn to handle their own money before they are old enough to go earn it from someone else.

Sure, I got birthday and Christmas gifts, just like everyone else.  Once I reached 9 years old, Dad said that if I wanted money to go skating, to buy candy, beer cans for my collection, etc., that it was time to start earning money.

He wasn't just a hardass in mouth only, he led by example.  Dad worked at a Chrysler foundry, and also did roofing on the evenings and weekends for about 6 months of the year.  And, I was never permitted to mow yards for money, until ours was done to his satisfaction, first.

Back then, the average rate for mowing a yard was #2-$3, maybe $5 if it was like a 1/2 AC or something. A generous neighbor once gave me $10 for my services, and my father made me take $5 back to him.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: What did you "collect" when you were a kid. - SunsetBengal - 09-22-2018, 02:19 PM