Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High-speed police chases have killed thousands of innocent bystanders
I don't know much about the specific rules for police in a chase, but I know in my EVOC training it was made clear that while running hot we could exceed the speed limit, but not get to the point of reckless. In Virginia that means 20 over the limit or 80 mph, whichever is lower. Always seemed like a good rule, which is why it was codified for us. Our medic chase cars were police interceptor Crown Vics and I know that hitting 120 in one on a straight, open highway can still leave one feeling a little less in control than is comfortable to me, anyway.

Anyway, whenever I think of these chases going awry I think back to my medic days where we had the only such incident in this area that I can ever remember. It wasn't a pedestrian that got hit, or another driver. The officer crested the top of a hill too fast and ended up inside of a second story apartment's living room. I was an extrication tech and can say that I never expected to work a scene like that one.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: High-speed police chases have killed thousands of innocent bystanders - Belsnickel - 09-13-2015, 12:12 AM