Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High-speed police chases have killed thousands of innocent bystanders
(09-17-2015, 04:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yes, I would like to check out that CHP study.  Do you have a link?

How do they define "greater loss"?  Do they consider more cars being stolen as a "greater loss" that that of an innocent human life?

I believe, it is under CHP pursuit study I used to have a copy in the office, but when we moved it got tossed. You can probably find a copy online. It's finding were later backed up by an article in criminal justice policy review titled something like "Police Vehicle pursuits: legal concepts" or something along those lines. I used to keep copies of these, but I have moved to a different area of our organization and these aren't a large factor in my daily job anymore.

Something else to keep in mind Fred is the numbers are a bit misleading. In 1979 and all the way up to the early 90's many police used tactics in pursuits such as ramming and boxing which both are very dangerous to all involved, and have been banned for decades. With the arrival of tire deflation devices many pursuits are terminated much quicker and safer than they were at the start of the study.

Messages In This Thread
RE: High-speed police chases have killed thousands of innocent bystanders - Au165 - 09-17-2015, 04:10 PM