Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Lawmakers introduce constitutional amendment to impose term limits on Congress
(01-04-2019, 08:12 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Ranked-choice-voting?  Not so sure about that. 

RCV is a more democratic form of an election than first-past-the-post/plurality wins. It also opens the way for third-party and independent candidates. With the way we currently do elections, those votes are wasted and/or spoiler votes. With RCV, someone can vote for the candidate they like the best without concern that it will help guarantee the candidate they like the least will win.

(01-04-2019, 08:12 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: But, one idea that I think would do much better, would be to do away with campaign ads, and mandate that the candidates face each other in a series of televised debates.  Make these debates broadcast to the entire audience of any particular election;  National, State, or Local.  

I would just about guarantee that when the ads disappear, and the only opportunity people will have to learn about the candidates is to actually listen to them orate, we will get not only a much better informed voting populace, but a lot less knee-jerk voters on election day.

This is what I mean by publicly funded elections. It essentially ends the campaign ads that happen.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lawmakers introduce constitutional amendment to impose term limits on Congress - Belsnickel - 01-04-2019, 11:33 PM