Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Was this a bad year to replace Marv?
(01-08-2019, 02:43 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Obviously we all (most?) wanted him gone, but from what I've read (and I kinda felt this way already) this is a pretty weak crop of candidates, with a ton of openings (8). In years past, there's always been 2-3 hot candidates with sparkling resumes, with fewer openings. Guys like Pederson, Nagy, Reich, McVay etc.

Now it seems each of the current candidates has serious questions.

Bieniemy - Pretty green. 1 year as OC and didn't call plays.
Monken - His offense produced a lot of yards, but also a lot of turnovers. Wasn't as impressive in previous years.
Taylor - No coordinator experience
Waldron - See Taylor
McDaniels - failed miserably as a HC already, yet he's very choosy (thankfully)
Joseph - Failed miserably in Denver
Arians - Good coach, but only interested in coaching 1 team

I guess we can hope that the Bengals are waiting on a guy that's still coaching. So who is your favorite candidate that is still coaching? Do you think we're in a tough year to fill the spot?

This is a really good question actually. The biggest difficulty will be finding a HC who will accept the Bengals dysfunctional front office without demanding changes to it and is also a HC who is going to win despite Mike Brown. It's a tall order really. That's the thing I give Marvin Lewis credit for. He has some success with the team despite Mike Brown.

Coaching prospects will all see how Marvin expected the team to re-sign Whitworth only to be disappointed, and that's not the first time Mikey's low balling deals have gotten in the way of coaches.

If a coaching prospect does his homework on Mike Brown, and each of them should, then they'll discover the Akili Smith pick and passing on the mega trade from Mike Ditka, the eternal Bengals assistant coach Paul Alexander being forced on the team and many other brain farts by Mike Brown like, Carson Palmer, Corey Dillon, etc, etc, and don't forget the Carl Pickens contract clauses. Mike Brown has been a stain on football for 26 years.

Josh McDaniels is not a guy I want, but he's done his homework on Mike Brown and bowed out at the start. He's use to working on a coaching staff that has complete personnel control.

We very well may of a few down years until Mike Brown finally departs.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Was this a bad year to replace Marv? - BengalChris - 01-08-2019, 05:48 PM