Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Was this a bad year to replace Marv?
(01-08-2019, 05:18 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: For good reason. Messages tend to get stale, players/coaches tend to get complacent, success wanes (unless you're New England).

It may seem funny to some, but I don't think I liked how loved Marv was in the locker room. Makes me wonder if things were a little too cozy. I'm not saying I want some stone cold dictator, but players shouldn't be buddy buddy with the coach. He shouldn't be a father figure, he should be a boss.

Well of course there are negatives to the job, as there is with any of the openings. That's why they're open. I don't think the Bengals job is the best opening, just showing why I think it's not as bad as some think. There are positives and negatives with all of them. 

Fwiw, I don't think this was as mutual as they're saying. Maybe it was Marv's call. Who knows? They also could be doing Marv a solid by saying it was mutual when it was really a firing. 

Also fwiw, the job security isn't the only positive. We do have some good players. A solid QB. Great skill position talent. D-line and secondary are probably better than they showed last year.

Fair enough. It's all in the eye of the beholder. I really liked Reich and Nagy last year. I don't feel as sure about the current available guys. Plus with 8 openings, it made it less likely we'd land one of "our guys". That said, it looks like half the openings were filled today (with guys that weren't on our radar), so things are looking up.

My concern (and seeing recent rumors adds to my concern) is that the Bengals aren't finding any of these outsiders particularly enticing after interviewing them and therefore decide to go with someone they are familiar with.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Was this a bad year to replace Marv? - ochocincos - 01-08-2019, 06:23 PM